Today Liza was practicing piano in the living room and Alex wanted to watch TV, I told him to go down stairs and watch the big screen. He moaned and whined "awwww, but then I have to watch what ever is on." (The TIVO is on the TV in the living room, so he would have had to watch live TV!?!?!?! HEAVEN FOR BID!)
How on earth did we ever survive not knowing how that "little house on the prairie" ended when we had to go eat dinner and couldn't pause it?? What about our parents? How did they put us to bed in the middle of the hockey game with out the ability to pause the TV while they did it? We are so spoiled, it worries me that our children are going to be missing the ability to let things go. That this will effect how they function in society. They absolutely die when I ask them to turn off live TV, it is so bad.
I also wanted to take a moment and clear the air regarding the Ice Cream Man. I despise the sound of his little song coming up the street just as much as each of you! There were so many comments on what a nice mom I am for letting them experience this wonderful part of childhood. I want you all to know that had Grandma not left money with the specific instruction on where to spend it, the visit wouldn't have ever happened. My kids have been to the ice cream truck before, but never with MY money. They ALWAYS have to have their own money, that they earned and saved. I also OH SO GRATEFUL that my mom saw fit to trigger the pavlovian response in my children right at the first signs of summer so that i get to hear about the stupid truck ALL summer. I also am grateful that Katie (who doesn't seem to understand the word "NO") also knows now that the wonderful man gives out ice cream in the shape of her favorite character in the whole wide world. SO, as much as I love the fact that you all think I am such a nice mommy, I couldn't live with it any longer, ah, such a weight has been lifted, and now you all know that I am on your side. I have been known to say to neighbors and friends "no, don't buy ice cream from the ice cream truck, it's like feeding a stray cat, he will just keep coming back to our street, and coming back to our street looking for $!! " No I have fed the cat, and will pay the price for months to come. :-( Oh well, we did get some nice pictures, and the kids really were extremely happy! It was a very nice night where no one was complaining... kind of like a "disney moment", but much shorter and only in my back yard.
I better go clean up the mess we've made today.
9 comments:
I was just talking to Adrian tonight about how when we wanted a song we had to call into a radio station, request the song, wait for hours for them to finally play it, and then scramble to your boom box to hit the record button, which usually meant you'd miss the first part of the song... And our kids will never understand that because of i-Tunes!!:) It's so true that everything is so immediate now-a-days!!
And your getting the dark side of the ice-cream truck off your chest made me laugh!! Those trucks are like stray cats!! So funny!!:)
Bravo for "outing" yourself. You are still nicer than me as far as the ice cream goes.
Isn't your school doing "Turn off the TV week"? We've got caution tape and signs hanging all over the place on our TVs reminding them.
It is scary though how immediate gratification is such a part of kids lives today.
I am spoiled with the ability to pause my t.v. too. If I miss something on the radio, I go to rewind it and then -- oops, it's not my DVR, so I can't rewind. When we were at the hotel, Selena asked to pause the t.v. so she could brush her teeth and wasn't happy when I couldn't do it.
So glad you're public now!
I'm so stuck in the 1980s, that I still have never had cable, let alone Tivo, handled an iPod, or used the internet in the comfort of my own home. If I keep this up, my kids will think I'm the most abusive parent around. But, I think I'm just slow...not really resistant. And they will get a kick out of me trying to explain to them someday all about our current rabbit ears antenna and how it once worked! :)
THANK GOODNESS you're a crabby mom like me then! hahahaha...that was funny that you had to clear it up. don't have to be so honest, take the compliment and run! :)
TIVO: Holy crap! I know right! Ever since that little miracle box came in to our lives I no longer have to worry about being home for a show etc. The days of, "Oh no! I gotta run cuz my show's about to start" are OVER! Now I just need more hours in the day to watch all the crap I recorded! HA!:)
I love your thoughts about the ice-cream man. I am so with you on that score. That sound-uff. And I have the same concerns about today's modern life. What a challenge we have to keep them grounded.
ps. I hope the shower went well. My visit with an old friend who doesn't attend church any more got put together at the last minute. I hate when I have to miss things, though.
I don't have the TiVo and it's a problem when Selena is over. She used to get so confused as to why I couldn't just produce an episode of Dora out of thin air. She'd actually only be able to watch it once, at 9:30. Too funny.
Oh man, I feel the same way about Tivo. In some ways, so great--the kids only watch what I've recorded for them and that's that! But on the other had, man, they are silly about not getting their way RIGHT when they want it. It seems the Tivo encourages that.
Post a Comment