Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Bitter Sweet

So lately I've been sulking around as my sweet husband is on SICU(surgical Intensive Care Unit), which means essentially he works all the time, and is on call (which means staying overnight at the hospital, not sleeping at all and pulling 30 plus hours) every 4 days.  He is typically working 80 hours or more a week, and lots of weekends and evenings alone.  This time hasn't been as bad as last October, but it still stinks.   Through our 13 years together we have had a lot of missed events and holidays due to concerts (Brent put himself through undergrad playing the French Horn for the Universities Symphony's) Concerts are usually held on holidays for the listening pleasures of Valentines etc.  Then missed events and holidays due to testing, military training (taking him out of town for 6 weeks at a time) and now call schedules.  I have let a lot of this roll off my back as I know that "our day will come".  But most recently we missed (yet another) ward activity that I really didn't want to miss.  I love my ward out here and I am so close with ALOT of the sisters.  The activities committee planed a high school reunion dance.  Everyone dance all night to U2, Journey and Erasure, and dressed up in garb and hair styles of their generation.  :-(  Oh I SO wanted to go, and SO feel ripped off for missing it.  Then just to sour the pot a bit more I was informed just hours after Brent put in his schedule request for may that the Stake annual dance  The Rose Ball,  is the weekend that I told him to go ahead and take call.  GRRRRRRR!  The first year we were here, we were in the hospital having Katie, the second year our baby sitter copped out on us, and now, stupid work.

So I've been hating this silly life we have chosen, so now for the sweet.
MY SWEET HUSBAND WAS NAMED CHEIF THIS WEEK.  Yup, that is good.  He is one of 3 cheif"s of residents.  Mostly for us, this means that he has a bit more pull on the schedule.  He will get to work a bit more and have to cover flaky peoples shifts, but once again........ SOMEDAY, it will look really good on a resume.  It seems that our whole life is about SOMEDAY.  I really try to enjoy where we are at, but it is sometimes hard to do when most of the positives are in the pay offs after you suffer through medical school and residency.   But as my sister (my wise wise sister) who is 2 years ahead of me in  pretty much everything that I do (including kids and husbands career choice) has pointed out, this is our year of lasts here in Maryland...... Our last year to go to all those annual things that you take advantage of while you live somewhere.  Our last chance to visit those sites, and see all that we need to take in, cuz who knows where we will be next year at this time.  Anyway, I am done rambling, I have a kid with a dirty diaper, 6:06pm and no dinner and I think I am going to recipe swap in 45 min, and I am blogging????  PRIORITIES???  LOL!!!

8 comments:

Cami said...

I am really sad you had to miss the dance. I know you really wanted to go to it!! Argh. How frustrating. I think you are an amazing woman taking care of your kids, and even going the extra mile to take care of your friends so well during this hard time. I rely so much on Jake, and it would probably kill me to be on my own so often. I think you are doing great. And I'll be really sad if you are gone next year. But then, I may be too, so that's ok. Anyway, we'll have a dance party JUST for you, very soon.

tracey said...

Aw, such a wise sister you have! Bummer about the dances (although I doubt Brent, the dancing fool that he is, is too disappointed) :-)

Jared - Christina said...

I don't like to think about the fact that your time here in Maryland is speedily winding up! I understand that part of military life oh so well but this time, I'm the one being left!! We have LOTS of things to do and see!

Jared - Christina said...

ps-Congrats to Brent!

Jenni said...

That must be so hard and I'm so sorry you had to miss the dance!! Your day will come Christie!!:) Big congrats to Brent - that's great!!

Cynthia said...

I think you are amazing, Christie. Truly. I see the other side of the residents and fellows who LIVE at the hospital and most do not have the demands of a family like you and Brent. You two really have your priorities set and set such an example to me. Your sweet, unfailing support is something I've noticed from day one with you both. Not only will your day come, but lady, you need to LIVE IT UP! Congrats to Brent on being a chief resident...not easy! :)

Em Wall said...

So frustrating! Congrats again to Brent (and you!) on being named a chief!

Scarlett said...

I respect you for being so honest and brave to share your true feelings about this. Like I told you, you still always manage to give so much to others that I know your dreams will come true for you. Being chief resident is a huge deal ( I know I watch ER :)!) and you both deserve the glory! You've earned it just as much as he has, so congrats to you both! hugs.