Tuesday, September 18, 2007

This and That

So much has been going on lately that I just have a lot of things that I needed to write down. Last week Liza had her first moral dilemma, she was invited to a birthday/sleepover on a sat to Sunday. She has had Sunday invites before, but nothing that was Saturday night to Sunday morning. She has always been so quick to say, "oh, your party is on Sunday, I can't come on Sundays that is the day that I go to church." I thought it would be the same, but when we told her that she was old enough to make that decision, she had a really hard time. At one point she was asking me if we would still love her if she chooses to go, and what would Heavenly Father do if she chooses to not keep the Sabbath day holy. We assured her that she would always be loved, and advised her to pray about what would be the right thing to do. She was so torn, it was sad, but good to see her struggle with with a real life application to her years of primary. She cried because she knew what was right, and she really wanted to find a way to make what she wanted right. After much trouble, she decided, on her own to go to the party until midnight, and then come home to sleep and be with her family on Sunday. I was so proud of her and happy to know that when she prayed about it, the spirit whispered to her, and she heard it. :-) On Saturday as we walked her up to the neighbors for the party, Tori wanted to carry the gift and then Alex said to Liza, "Here Liza, I'll carry your bag, cuz you're a girl." They then had a whole conversation about how a boy is to carry a purse. Alex has watched closely and noted that a boy isn't supposed to put a purse on his shoulder, he carried the pink purse on his fore arm to be sure that it was not mistaken as HIS purse. LOL!!! So funny.
On Saturday we got a phone call from Brent's Dad telling us that Brent's Grandmother passed away. She has been ill for quite some time, and was ready to go, it makes it a bit easier to let them go when that is the case. I know that I will miss her SO SO much as she always patted my back and told me what a great mommy I am. She would even talk to other family members about what a great mom I was. (boy did I have her fooled eh?) She will be dearly missed and I really wish that I could have seen her one more time. I am going to Utah on Sept 26th so I missed her by about 11 days! What are the odds? I loved her like she was one of my own grandmas. She made awesome bread, and yummy yummy cookies, which we had to sit at the nook and eat them while she poured milk and stood on the other side of the counter talking to us. She would feed you till you blew up, she loved to feed her guests, and was always asking if you were hungry. I remember once when I was there I had some stomach problems and I was warned by family members not to tell Grandma or she would try to give you and enema, apparently they cure everything. (AHHH) She did see me wince once and she said "what's wrong Chris, does your stomach hurt? Are you hungry honey?" I quickly replied that I wasn't hungry, and it didn't hurt that bad. I was offered her advise on enemas, but I didn't get one! Thank Heavens. Grandma had a lot of funny phrases, that I want to write down and post for my journal, I'll have to do a post called Grandmas Wisdom. We spent the next 2 days tring to get Brent time off work, and leave from the army and an airline ticket. Brent is set to leave tomorrow for the funeral on Thursday.

We got word today that Brent's Downs Syndrome sister (who is 32) was take to the hospital today. She is living in a home since mom passed away and they took her in because she was in pain. Anne has a very high pain threshold and has rarely complained about pain, so I am worried about her. She has a very limited vocabulary, and wouldn' t be able to tell you too much about how she is feeling. I am sure that if they asked her if she was pooping she would just giggle at the word poop. She is a funny girl, but that sure doesn't help when you are trying to diagnose someone. They ran test all day today and all they can guess is Pneumonia, but she is complaining of abdominal pain, and that wouldn't be where you would feel pneumonia, I don't know if they are going to let her go with that diagnosis or not.

Today while I was running around doing homework stuff with kids, Tori did something so cute, I really wish I would have gotten out my camera to catch the moment. She spread out a blanket and propped her baby up on the blanket and then got our her camera and started shooting pictures from all angles, and levels, it was so funny to see her getting low and then standing up, and switching side to side. So Cute!!! I wonder where she has seen that done before. :-)

7 comments:

kristin said...

Tori's working on a career in photography, eh? that's adorable!
Wanted to let you know how sorry I am to hear about Brent's grandma. Sounds like she was a very neat woman. Glad you guys get to go be in Utah with the rest of the family. Keep us "posted" on his sister, too. Sounds like you guys have alot on your plates right now. We'll pray.

Mendy said...

Wow! Things have been busy in your house. I don't know what to comment on first! I am sorry to hear about Brent's grandmother and his sister. I hope his sister feels better soon. I am so pleased that Liza made a good choice even when it was hard; she can hang out with my daughter anytime! How funny that Tori acted like you talking photos. I wish I knew even where the light should be when I snap a shot.

Cami said...

Oh, these are sad stories. I hope everyone is doing well. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

You must be a good mother -- look how well you taught Liza. You gave her a choice, which I haven't done with my kids yet. What fun memories with such a fun grandma. I hope you all have a safe trip and your sister-in-law recovers.

Kellie said...

This post really captures the complexities of the life of a real woman. It is a powerful thing to record it and read over just how much you are experiencing every day. Thanks for sharing.

Jann said...

So sorry about Brent's grandmother. It is always hard to part with a loved one. I hope he has a safe trip, and gets some comfort, being with his family.

We have so had the Saturday sleepover problem with Ashley. What is amazing is after a few years of Ash going home early, all her friends started switching them to Friday night, so she could stay.

Jeri said...

Any word on how Brent's sister is doing?

I am glad he was able to fly to Utah to be with his family during this time.