Saturday, September 15, 2007
Flashback Friday
About 3 years ago I was flipping through a magazine and smelled the most wonderful smell. I immediately got on the Internet to look up this perfume, and the romance began. I do this quite often, I will find something that I love, that is out of our budget and I will research it, follow it around, visit it at the store and circle around it until it goes on sale. Sometimes this is quite a long process, but I will watch it until the price tag fits my budget. Months later at a post Christmas clearance sale, I finally had my perfume. Several months later I was getting ready one morning and had put on my perfume and then did my hair, I caught a whiff of myself and had an instant memory of my Great Grandmother. (She lived until I was about 6) I knew that it was associated with the smell. I actually pictured myself in her bedroom sniffing her perfume bottles. I figured that there must have been some undertones in the perfume that was similar to hers, like sandalwood or something. A few weeks later while talking to my Grandma (her daughter) on the phone, I told her about this experience and said that it must have some of the same smells in it. Grandma asked me what the name of the perfume was, I told her "Shalimar" . She laughed and then told me that that was my Great Grandmas perfume! She said that Grandma used to bring it back from England when she would go home to visit family. My Grandma was surprised to see it here in the states. I wore it to the family reunion a few months later, it was fun to tell the story to everyone and have them take a whiff. I am amazed at the sense of smell and the brains ability to connect moments to memories. ;-)
Posted by Christie at 10:43 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I remember you telling me this story! Good for you for writing it down.
I also remember things by smell sometimes. I wished some of those "memory smells" were as lovely as this perfume.
Ah, Shalimar. I wanted to cry reading your post. This is my mother's perfume and if I close my eyes I can smell it and feel her hugging me as if she were here. I just don't see her enough these days.
Thanks for your post!
isn't that amazing how you connected that? wow! I want a sniff...think there's a way to do smell blogs?
Smells are so powerful. I love my grandma's perfume. Oscar De La Renta.
Post a Comment