I am so glad that I had the opportunity to come and visit David and Arbras home. It is beautiful, full of all the wonderful things that any woman would want. Stainless steal appliances in a gorgous kitchen, 5 fridges and 3 freezers, a spacious food storage room, a nook for the grandkids to play, a bose surround sound hooked up on both tvs, new car, 3 car garage, beautiful view, and decorated to the nines, with seasonal decorations galore that are stored in her massive yet organized storage room. Crafty little displays of fall, hay, and wagons and little picket fences, plush lether furnature, $400 mounted fish....Just a stunning home, full of all things beautiful.
She wouldn't have belonged, she wouldn't have known what to do with all this space, she never could have decorated it, she couldn't have ever let herself go financially to spend money on such tomfoolery. NONE of this mattered to her! She would have been uncomfortable in such a place and she would feel so wrong about putting her money into things rather then people. If she ever had a dime, she would have given it away. This is not for her. I see my father in law, a changed man, a man whom is now ruled by the woman in his life. A man who has learned to bite his tounge, and eat his words. He is much more tender and carries a completely different spirit. It is quite unfortunate that mom missed out on that aspect of this life. However I am sure that she knew that side of him, and that is why she put up with so much garbage. She knew the real him, and she had to pass away for him to drop down his walls and let others in to see him for who he is. As for Arbra, I know she will love my children, and for that I am greatful. I have concluded that she is a common woman, who struggles with the same stuggles as anyother woman who is learning and growing and trying to be more like the savior. Her only vice is that she is following a woman who wasn't common, and who rarely struggled to be Christ like. Shirley was someone who I aspire to be like, Arbra is on the same plane as I am, she is learning, and growing. She comes across as quite materialistic, but any woman when compared to Shirley is (including myself). Really it is quite a shame that she never knew mom, for she is a wonderful example of a woman who serves God. I am sure that as Arbra grows the Lord will let her meet a woman like mom, so that she too can see what is truely important.
In short, She is nice enough, I need to try not to pick out her flaws, for we all have so many. I am at peace, and I am suprised. I cried a few tears as I rocked in moms chair, but she is not here..... this is not her home.... She will forever be in my heart, and i will ALWAYS aspire to be like her. I miss her love.
Sunday, September 30, 2007
She wouldn't have belonged
Posted by Christie at 3:27 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
This made me cry, Christie. You really sound at peace with your father-in-law's wife. I am glad you can see her as an ordinary woman and not a villain. I am glad, too, that you see your father-in-law in a new light, perhaps how Shirley saw him. Even if the baby doesn't come while you are there, I think your trip to Utah is far from a waste. That said, I am still sad for you and the hole in your heart left by Shirley's passing.
What a touching post. I am so proud of you for looking at this situation with such a positive outlook. You will be so blessed for doing so.
Her chair! =( It needs to be in your home, not there. I am glad you got to sit in it for a moment.
I hope you made it back into the house. I didn't hear from you again, so I thought you must have mastered breaking in. =)
I'm glad you were able to meet Arbras and feel better about the situation. You have such great memories of your grandma. She sounds like a wonderful lady that we all should be more like.
This is so tender. I appreciate your honesty. I hope that you and Arbra will be able to learn and grow together. Your sensitivity to the situation and your willingness to reach out to her makes me think that she will have as much to gain from her relationship with you as with anyone.
I love your honesty Christie. I can't even imagine how hard this was for you and I'm so glad you were able to make it a positive experience.
Wow, what a sweet blog and so sincere. I can only imagine how hard it must be for you. It was hard enough for me to feel accepted into my husband's family and they are wonderful. I can't imagine accepting another wife for my father. I am sure it is hard, but you have a wonderful attitude.
Post a Comment