Thursday, August 16, 2007

Gunpowder Falls

So some ladies in the ward planned to all go out to Gunpowder Falls today for a beach day. I was all on board for this, so I packed up the majority of my stuff last night and made a lunch this morning. We got all our stuff together and out the door by about 9:15am. We planned to caravan over with Jeri. Felicity came by my place and we loaded she and Will into our car, then the kids were all trapped in with all the beach gear. We headed over to join Jeri and Emily who were all piling into Emily's Van. We were on the road by about 9:30 when I got a call from Nicole. Good news, she decided to join us. The kids were so excited, asking about water conditions etc. We had to go through the toll booth and the lady at the booth was none to happy to see Felicity's 20 dollar bill. She was down right rude about it, and after digging up the change, slapped it in my hand. I felt bad for her that she hated her job that much. Then it began to rain, but we could see the edge of the storm as we drove up the 95. We were sure that we would drive out of it and hit the beach for a lovely beach day. It kept raining, and raining, all the way there. We pulled up to see some Crazy lady down at the beach with her 4 kids, wait it that Mendy? Ah yes, swimming in the pouring rain. Liza and Alex were so excited, the rain didn't phase them. They went off to play with the Hunter Kiddos, while Felicity, Nicole, Jeri, Emily and I discussed what to do. We called Felicity's mom who looked up the area on the Internet, and reported that the weather was to be rainy all day. WHY DID NONE OF US CHECK THIS BEFORE WE LEFT THE HOUSE???? (silly girls!) At this we began looking for alternate entertainment. The wind was blowing and cool, and there was no way that I was making Katie and Will go out in that. We decided that we would go and find the White Marsh mall, using Emily's GPS. Liza couldn't understand WHY we were leaving....... So after much scheming between she and Maia, Mendy offered to keep Liza there with them. As Mendy piled her bunch into the van for lunch, claiming that they would be back out in the storm after they ate, we headed for shelter. This whole decision process probably took 45 min to and hour. As we are leaving the beach, I realize that I have left a bag at home, the bag that contains my wallet, Katie's diapers, and wipes, swim diapers, towels, floaties etc. Great, now I am driving around with no Licence AND headed to a mall with 3 kids and no money. On top of that the bag is not in my house it is on the porch for anyone to rob me. I called the neighbor and asked her to come and rescue my wallet. We stopped at a roadside produce spot and bought some peaches (with $ from Jeri), This was the BEST part of the whole day, they were delicious!!!! YUMMY YUMMY TREE RIPE PEACHES! Then we headed to the mall. As we pulled up to the mall the rain stopped and the sun began to shine! It was actually getting HOT!!! I was so mad! We had to pay to get into the park (again with Felicity's $$ cuz I'm a yo yo who forgot her wallet on my front porch. )We were in the mall for all of 5 minuets when I realized that I had left my Camera, and my Ipod in the car. I didn't even make sure the doors were locked. So I hauled my dippy butt back out to the car to get my electronics out of there. Went back to the mall, took Tori to the Potty twice. Ate lunch somewhere in there, and walked around the mall yelling at my children to stay close, and stop running around like crazy people. By 1:30 I had had it, and so had poor Will. Felicity was done too, so we headed back to the car for the drive home, and as we did, the warm sunshine shone down upon us mockingly. GRRRRRR, I try so hard to take them fun places, what are the chances of the rain letting up like that 15 mins after I give up? GRRR maybe another day. I think I'll go eat another peach :-)

7 comments:

Christie said...

PS, no pictures to post.... which really chafes my hide!

Jeri said...

You will not like reading my future post about the beach!

We will go back! =)

Mendy said...

I'm so sorry about how that whole day worked out. What could have been...
Liza and Maia still had the time of their lives, at least.

Dawn said...

Hey! why did no one invite me ????

Cami said...

Yes, beach day ruined for all of us. And to think we could have just stuck it out and had fun. You were a good mommy.

Corinne said...

DUDES. I know. I totally turned around on 95 and went back home. Hopes were definitely dashed. I'm going to try again before it gets cold :)

Jann said...

Oh man. I am sorry you had a miserable day.