I don't know if I have blogged about this before, but I have real issues with looking to the future, for things to get better. I have "grass is greener" symptoms. I always think that things are going to be so much better when...... Today, this movie line "what if this is as good as it gets." popped into my head. I've thought about it all day. At first the phrase seems a little negative, as though, things suck, and it isn't getting any better. But after some thought and a chat with dear Barbara tonight, I realize that what I need to do is see that question more positively. This point in our lives is good, I should be grateful to be here and live now, and here in this moment. What if this is it, who am I going to be today, what am I going to do today to reach tomorrow. To be the person that I want to be everyday instead of waiting around for the day when it is going to get better.
Obvious to anyone who knows my life, you know that I am speaking mostly of my sweet husbands schedule and work load, and stress factors. I know that I need to be supportive of his job and calling, but I keep thinking about the day when he won't need so much support and he will be able to turn around and support me in my job. I realize now that things are changing at every moment, everyday my kids wake up one day older. By the time Brent has more time to be around the house (which may never happen) , the kids will be older. My baby will be almost in kindergarten, if not older, and I will not need that as much. Then I'll be kickin' him out of the house. ;-) I can't wait for tomorrow anymore. This is as good as it gets, so I vow to be happy here. To try with all my might not to be a stupid stress case,
(BTW: I got an email from Alex's teacher today.... not good. Some thing about a foot in the toilet and wet shoes and socks.... arg, that boy and playing in the bathroom!!!)
Again, try not to be a stress case, (know that his teacher has dealt with a lot of children in her years, mine isn't the first to play in the potty.) I need to relax a little. Maybe I'll stop clenching my teeth at night if I actually follow through with this vow. I recognize that I am extremely blessed with a great life, wonderful family and friends, the gospel of Jesus Christ, enough to get by comfortably, and so so much more.
HERE'S TO LIVING FOR TODAY AND PREPARING FOR TOMORROW!
(we'll see if it works :-) )
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
"What if this is as good as it gets?"
Posted by Christie at 7:40 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I'm fairly sure this is as good as it gets. that's rather alarming..isn't it?
Wow, great thoughts Christie! I too am trying to live here and now lately, because the older I get, the more I realize things aren't going to get better or easier, or whatever... It's all in your attitude here and now. It's a real challenge to be happy at whatever moment you are in though.
Hey, I just read your Kids Day post! How fun that we both share kids day every year!! Looks like you guys had a blast.
I love the grass is greener ideal. I always think that once somthing is out of the way life will be easier..... Yet I am always waiting. can waiting be the right thing to do? I don't so we try around here to make the most of each day, knowing that there will be things that we don't want to deal with but lots of postive aswell. Great moment of wonder...
Great insight thanks for sharing, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one...
I always think that too, is it going to be better? I picture Chris and I on cruises and get-aways without having to worry about children, but then I get so sad when I think of them leaving me and not needing me. So I better just enjoy my life now. Once again great thoughts you wonderful woman!
When you get older you will look back on those days as the 'good old days'.I know it is hard while you are living it... but when you are a granma you will laugh at shoes and socks in the toilet. Now, holding someones head in the toilet while continually flushing it..that might be a concern.
True. We have to find happiness in our right now and stop looking to the future. I know many a family who just kept expecting things to get better and they just never did. I think your attitude is quite healthy.
Post a Comment