Friday, May 16, 2008

Mower Musings

Well today I mowed the lawn for the first time ever.  Yup that's right, never mowed a lawn before.  I remember "helping" my dad with the lawn, but never mowing it.  It just got WAY out of control and I couldn't see when Brent was going to get to it before my yard sale on Saturday.  It HAD to be done.  So whilst I was out there mowing, I had a little time to think.  As I mowed I was surprised by how satisfying it is to do this job.  All you do is push this vacuum like thing around and it looks so different and so "clean".  Then I got to thinking about the stereo typical "mens jobs" and "women's jobs"  and any job that I could think of this is the situation.  Mens jobs stay done, and women's jobs are perpetual.  The lawn, when it is done, looks good and stays done for  a week to 10 days.  Nothing can undo what you just did.  When a man fixes a broken door, theoretically the door stays fixed. :-)  When he washes his car, it doesn't NEED to be washed for another 2 weeks.  On the other hand when a woman cleans the kitchen (if she is lucky enough to do it alone and actually get it to a  point that she declares it clean)  with in moments someone will need a drink or a snack,  or runs through the kitchen with their shoes on and that is the end of that!  Laundry... you're dirtying some as we speak.  Why is this??? why were women deemed all the jobs that never ever get done...  RAISING CHILDREN... that's a big one!  They're really never done.  :-)  Just a thought, I wonder a lot about the old days and how things worked, and how people fell into certain rolls.  I am sure that there was no town meeting that declared who's jobs were who's, but it just made me wonder what it is about women in general that made us, millions of years ago, gravitate towards these jobs... or was it men in general that avoided them, and the women have ALWAYS been the ones to pick up the pieces?   

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh!! I never thought about that. You are so right. That is so unfair. I'm very impressed that you mowed the lawn! I've never done it. I don't plan to, but you never know.

Cami said...

Yes. Yes. Yes. I agree. I can NEVER be done with any of my jobs, and Jake's are sort of once a week kind of jobs. I suppose he has to go to work and everything, but the stuff he does there stays done too. Good job on the lawn. I mowed mine all the time--about 4 of us had different sections. But it was not fun.

Kellie said...

What a brilliant assessment. I've often said that is why I knit. It stays done. I like that. Congrats on the lawn-mowing milestone. It was my job when I was a teen. It is strangely satisfying.

Becca at Motherhood "perfected" said...

You are so right! My job in the yard is weeding which is never done either, there is always another weed popping up within a day! SO unfair, but don't even get me started. Christie are you still doing an online chore/chart type of thing? I tried looking through your blog for it but couldn't find it, but I enjoyed looking through all of your blogs! No time to comment though.

Becca at Motherhood "perfected" said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becca at Motherhood "perfected" said...

You are so right! My job in the yard is weeding which is never done either, there is always another weed popping up within a day! SO unfair, but don't even get me started. Christie are you still doing an online chore/chart type of thing? I tried looking through your blogs for it but couldn't find it, but I enjoyed looking through all of your blogs! No time to comment though.

tracey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tracey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tracey said...

I can NOT believe you haven't ever mowed your lawn!! That is crazy! On Sat mornings you should go out and mow the lawn and leave Brent to try and get the kids to clean their rooms. I LOVE mowing the lawn exactly for your reasons.

Deb said...

wow! good point! no wonder i get so frustrated. :) and no wonder i like mowing the lawn...