Sunday, October 14, 2007

Hanging on by my fingernails

I have almost fallen off the wagon all ready! I can't believe how quickly my home goes out of control! I relaxed for one day and the laundry and toys took over. I never did get to the fridge, the pantry, or hands and kneeing the floor. I guess that will have to be on the top of the list for November. Back to moping for a few weeks. I want to quit and go back to my life of leisure, but I was so happy there for a few days while it was all going so well. I also found myself staying home a bit more instead of shopping (I am such a believer in retail therapy that it's really bad!) The kids did their jobs today and I helped keep them rolling and picked up my own room. I just need to remember how important it is to do my night routine.

Today I told my kids about my parents. I did it in the van while we were driving to Toys R Us for a free "littlest pet shop/ hot wheels". I started out by asking my kids if they knew what divorce meant. Liza answered that it was when a husband and wife hate each other and so they stop being married. I quickly assured her that they don't have to hate each other to get divorced, that sometimes they just are no longer happy together and they may like each other just fine. We talked about people that we know who are divorced and how they still love their children etc. Then when we arrived at Toys R Us, I turned around to my captive audience and told them that Grandma and Grandpa Tiffany got a divorce. Liza and Alex (of course) reacted the most, neither was terribly sad, more so worried about where they belonged in the whole mix. I had anticipated that, and had waited this long so that I could tell them about Grandmas new house. (My mom just bought a house about 15 minuets away from my dads place) I was able to tell them how many bedrooms she has, and where her dog would live and of course where the trampoline was. They took it rather well, and I am sure that questions will come up over time, but I was sure to reassure them that both Grandma and Grandpa love them very much, that they can go visit both of them, and that grandma and grandpa both had trips planned to come and visit us here. Then we went in to cash in our coupons for our free toys, nothing like a little retail therapy :-) See, I told you I was a firm believer. UH, what am I teaching my children...? Yikes. I also made sure to tell them that Grandma and Grandpa do not hate each other, in fact they had Chinese food together just last week. I think that made Liza feel a lot better. I am glad to have that over and done with.

Liza had another birthday party/sleepover tonight. She chose to not attend the sleepover since it went from a Saturday to a Sunday, so I snuck out and picked her up at 11:45 so she could be home for the sabbath. I was so proud of her as she resisted her friends requests to stay as she was leaving. She didn't even look at me like I was making her leave. She just smiled sweetly at her friends and said good bye. The little girls mom asked what church we go to. I told her that we were Mormon ( I know I know, we're supposed to say the whole big name, but sometimes it just doesn't fit in. ) Anyway that led to her telling me that she took the first 3 discussions with the missionaries back in 1988! Wild, who knew! I will have to restart that conversation some other time when there is not a birthday party going on.

On another note, I am milling around in my mind the idea of starting up some sort of a photography business. Just a little deal, following in my mentors footsteps. I have had a few leads from Brent's work, he shows them pictures of the kids and then they ask who is taking these pictures. There are 2 doctors who are interested in having me come out and photograph their children. I am a little nervous for the responsibility of it all, and I am also waiting till we get a new computer and a better version of photo shop.

Anyway, that's whats on the brain tonight. I better go to bed 2 am is quickly approaching. :-)

9 comments:

Jeri said...

Wow, You have a lot going on in this post.

You told them! Congratulations, I can't imagine the weight that has lifted from your shoulders. Now, if they have a question or a request you can just tell them exactly how it is.

I have missed you and retail therapy! You have never stayed home so much, and it has been strange for me! =)

I am glad you were able to get Liza home safe. What a teaching moment for Liza, it will be exciting to see if her Mom's friend in a less stressful situation.

You did a fabulous job photographing the children in Utah. I think that is your proof that you can do this!

Cami said...

Yes, a lot going on. I think you did a great job of explaining to your kids. I hope they didn't think you were about to tell them YOU were getting a divorce! Phewf.

Good luck with your photography! I'm sure you'll do great.

Deb said...

wow, i think the distraction was a great idea. let them mull it around a little and get back to you with questions.

and good luck with the photography! that's great! it's a little scary but so fulfilling to expand your talents like that!

Jared - Christina said...

Between telling your kids and your experiences in Utah, I hope you have some peace with things that have been on your mind! What a month for you!

I'll have to start telling people about you and Jeri now if they want great pictures!

Becca at Motherhood "perfected" said...

Yikes Christie you have earned a nap! I didn't know so much was happening. I think you did a great job. Years from now when that moment sticks in their head (like moments such as that often do) your children are really going to appreciate you for making it bearable. Also, way to go with the photography thing!

Jenni said...

That must have been a difficult thing to tell your kids, wow. But I think you did it in a great way. And I think it's wonderful that you might start a business - your pictures are beautiful!!

Corinne said...

I bet you thought a lot about that conversation beforehand. Explaining things that like in a way where they can understand without freaking out is a delicate thing. I think you did a great job :)

kristin said...

I've been soo into my retail thereapy lately, that my house is suffering greatly, too! (and cooking along with it!) I think I might be "all or nothing!" on the whole thing. It's time to get back to "all", I'm afraid! Sure does feel good to have a clean, organized home though, doesn't it?? (or at least I've heard)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the kids didn't take it too hard. That is so hard. I totally agree in retail therapy -- it's either that or eat too much. But I think we could use some massages, so when you're ready, let's go find some masseurs with accents to give us a rub down!