Thursday, December 27, 2007

Sad Sad Day


Today Grandpa left.  :-(  sniff,  He has been so fun to have around and so helpful.  He loved to hold and rock Katie, and was almost sad when Brent was home to do that job.  He would take her and distract her while I made dinners/lunches, and would put her in her chair when she wanted to eat, open doors for her, and hold her and squeeze her and call her "lil punkin".  There were several times when she would reach out to him and call him "grampup".   Tori love having him here to play with too.  Grandpa will sit down and actually watch a movie with you, and even though you have to turn the volume up to drown out the snoring, it is worth it to have him there.  Alex finally got to play with someone who sees things his way!  He and my dad seem to think alike and so all of the toys that Alex got for Christmas were a hit with Grandpa too.  Grandpa helped Alex navigate his new Scooby Doo X Box game, they also played with Alex's magnets for quite some time.  They did a lot of figuring stuff out together.  I think Liza enjoyed just having another person around to talk to, and grandpa was better at acting interested then Brent and I are.  She loves to talk, I don't know where on earth she got that from.  Alex asked me the other day "Why does Grandpa give such shaky hugs?" ( A few years back my dad started shaking, I don't know why, just when he hugs you though, not while he is trying to do anything else.  ? )  We really enjoyed having him here, and he enjoyed being here.  Last night as we were getting ready for bed I said"Well dad, thanks for coming, we sure have enjoyed having you here."  He responded with  "Thank you for having me, I sure have liked being here, "  Then his eyes filled with tears as he said "I don't want to go home, it is so quiet there."  I said "yes, but you'll only be there for 2 days and then you'll go to Traceys (my sisters) House. "  "yeah, but then I still have to go home."  How sad.....  He enjoyed having chinook around too (my dad is a total dog person), I wish that he could have a dog, but he travels and works too much so it wouldn't be kind to the dog to have it.  The kids have missed him already   as have I.  I am so glad that he has come at Christmas for the past 2 years, he is nice to have around, and i know that he is much happier here then at home.  His mom is getting so bad with Alzheimers that when I talked to her on Christmas morning when I asked her how she was she said "I don't know how I am doing, I can't remember, Oh, the kids are here, so I must be good."  Then she asked me what we were going to do for Christmas, and asked if we were staying home or if we were coming to see her. This is sad for me, but really sad for my dad.  My dad only has one brother, and his father passed away about 14 years ago, that makes it even more difficult to go through what he has been going through with his mom and everything else.   On a happy note, my kids know him, and have good memories of this weekend, he took some awesome video for us, and we took a couple pictures of him with the kids.  Here is one that he took of Chinook,  from this point on we called Chinook snoopy.  :-)  

10 comments:

Cami said...

Oh, sad to have visitors leave, especially grandpas. They are always so missed. It sounds like he was a great hit!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to have your dad for Christmas. Sorry it was so hard to say good-bye...

kristin said...

I'm loving the jammies...we do that one Christmas Eve too! My kids haven't detected the pattern just yet. Isn't it hard to say goodbye to family?? I LOVE that your dad had the same pj's as well. That's truly adorable...and I don't use that word a whole lot!
Looks like a great and memorable Christmas! You sure are a fun/good mom, Christie!

Deb said...

it's hard to have the grandparents go! i always realize the same thing once they're gone: just how much they help distract and entertain the kids while they're here!

and alzheimer's is rough. we went through that with my grandmother and it was so tough on my mom, losing her mom even before she passed away.

Jenni said...

Oh, the saying of good-byes broke my heart, it is so hard to have family leave! I'm glad you guys had a memory filled Christmas together though and I can tell your dad is a special guy - he wore matching jammies with you all!! That's so great!!

Brenda said...

Your dad seemed like such a nice guy. I meant to talk to him several times (ward Christmas party, church etc.), but never got the chance. I really was impressed by his attitude though. He seemed so happy every time I saw him. And it seems from your blog that he was so happy to be with you!!

Jared - Christina said...

It was nice to meet your dad! I loved watching him with your kids...so sweet. I hope you get to visit with him again soon!

Anonymous said...

How sweet that he has matching pajamas too. I'm so sorry he had to leave. It's too bad he can't just be your new house mate. Hope you have more visits with him soon.

Dawn said...

I didn't know your mum had Alzheimers
We have dealt somewhat with that and it's a toughie
I'm sorry,but at least you have Dad for Christmas

Jann said...

I am so glad he got to come and spend some time with you. He sounds like the perfect grandpa.