Monday, December 10, 2007

Challenge

It seems that my challenge as a mother is to learn how to parent like Our Father in Heaven.   I really have a hard time parenting the way that I want to parent.  I know how I should handle situations, but I constantly find myself reverting back to the ways that I remember being parented.  Now, don't get me wrong, I think that my parents did a pretty good job.  Both my sister and I turned out pretty good, I think, but their ways were not always in conjunction with the way that Heavenly Father parents.   Sometimes I think that I turned out well because I feared my mothers disapproval more then anything in the world, her reaction and withdrawing in anger from me was more then I was willing to face.  I chose the right, most of the time because I couldn't bare to feel like she thought I was lesser of a person.  Until of course I was old enough to understand that she loves me unconditionally and that I need to make choices that please my heavenly father.   So my parenting style tends to fall into this realm of do as I say, or I will withdraw from you, be it withdrawing of your favorite things, or your favorite time, and sometimes even withdrawing me (in the same angry reaction as my mom).  Our Heavenly Father doesn't withdraw himself from us, he never would, He stands at the door, and waits.  I know that this is how I should be, and I try so hard to resist my first reaction to situations.  When I read books and articles from leaders, and members in the the Church (Read this months Presidency Message in the Ensign, it's very good)  on parenting, I am always faced with this inner battle, Like the  battle in heaven.  The Saviors plan of free agency and Satan's plan of controlling our destiny.  I love my kids so much and want for them to excel so much that I want to make their decisions for them, and control them right into adulthood in what ever way that I can, and if that means making them fear me, it was done out of love.  However, I love them too much to take away their agency!  I know that the Lords way is the right way, I guess what it comes down to is control issues.  I don't know when to let them make their own decisions.  A  4 year old for example, she needs some controlling, because she is not old enough just yet to know the consequences of her behavior, however a 9 year old needs much less.... or should need less..... it seems that I really struggle with Liza and her understanding of right and wrong, maybe she understands, and just doesn't care.  What ever the case may be, it seems that she isn't doing so well in the choices department, which brings me to my next issue.  Controlling my tongue.  No I don't curse like a sailor, well not all the time ;-)  I just react in a loud voice..... hummmm sometimes a far too loud voice. I am not a patient woman either, always in a rush.... rush rush rush.....  how annoying to live with!  I have really been working on this lately as I know that it is not right, our lessons/ meetings for the past 2 Sundays  have been on Controlling your tongue.   I have a girlfriend who I admire, and she has a little check list for thinking before you speak....  she always asks herself before she says something....

1. Is it true?
2. Is it kind?
3. Is it necessary?
I love this, I just have to get into my mind to go through them before I open my mouth and start rambling.  I am better at it with adults then i used to be, but still need work, and I really need work with my kids.  They pretty much get what ever pops into my head most of the time.  Usually not too terrible, but not the best either.  I am trying really hard to be a bit more rational and not engage in childish arguing (especially with Alex, he is my debater, and Liza has learned from him how to negotiate.)  I struggle with trying to prove to my kids that I am right, rather then letting it go.  Silly, I know, I usually realize this after the fact.
 
I have to say that i also look at large families in general, you find that as the parents relax with the last children,  those are the kids that fall away, or are lazy, or just stinkers, and that puts the fear in me that if I relax even a drop, one of them will fall away. :-(  I guess I just need to find a good balance, I know that it is out there, I feel like I am on the brink of some major discoveries as I dive into this world of Christ like parenting.  I am going to order some books that were suggested by a friend and wonderful example (thanks Kellie) and we'll see how it goes.  I studied this in school, because I went to Ricks we had a class on "Teach the Child" which is about the Savior way with children, but I never considered that I would have such a hard time applying it with my own children.
My Goals......
1. Use a kind voice and kind words.
2. Love them after discipline
3. Slow down.
4. Hug them more.
5. Be patient as they learn



9 comments:

Jenni said...

Those are great goals and great thoughts! I love that list of questions to ask yourself before you say something - very wise! I find myself saying "just do it cause I said so" or something to that effect way too often and I need to do better... Thanks for this post Christie!

Kellie said...

Christie, we are two peas in a pod. I wept as I read and so related to your thoughts. Thanks for sharing. When he was here some years ago for Stake Conference, Elder Oaks said, "You haven't failed as a parent until you give up." I don't see that happening ever. We're all in this together! Hugs to you.

Brenda said...

Wow, I feel the same way in so many things that you said! I feel like I am constantly trying to make my kids be good or the best that they can be, and then I too have a hard time accepting it when they aren't. I worry that that is the reason they have such a hard time trying things that they think they might fail at. I guess we are all going through the same struggles as parents.

It sounds like your heart is on the right track though and that is the best step you can take! By the way, I think your kids are great. You are doing a wonderful job!

felicity & nathaniel said...

You're a good mom. We are always our worst critics.
I'm gonna try your advice though- esp. the think before you talk checklist!
We can't underestimate kids though. My two sisters and I had barely an ounce of discipline as kids- and we were all really good and are pretty hard working too. :)

Cami said...

Ah the age-old dilemma. Oh, how I wish I could control myself all the time. You have good goals. I shall try to adopt them myself.

Jeri said...

You're up for the challenge though! You should print this and put it some where so you see it daily. Lots of good wisdom and thoughts to read here.

Corinne said...

I think the fact that you are taking it so seriously is a huge step, don't you??

Anonymous said...

We'll do this together. Just like exercising buddies, we'll be "more patient moms who try not to yell so much buddies"

Jann said...

You are such a good mom. I think bad mom's are simply mom's that do not care to do better. I think it is a life long struggle. When I was a teenager (I'm the baby of the family), my parents got called to teach a parenting class. After reading the manual, they said they had done it all wrong.