Sunday, February 8, 2009

what's up around here

I've been trying to keep momentum on this 'getting the house ready' game, but I am loosing steam.  Overwhelmed I think.  Any way, my kids have done a few things lately that I wanted to write down, so I have been keeping a running 'blog idea' list.  


Liza:  Last Sunday Liza decided to be 'little miss helpful'  she bathed the girls and got them both dressed in sunday clothes, she played with them all morning and everyone was happy.  She helped us get out the door for church and was just an absolute delight to be around.  Every so often she does this, and it is lovely.  I do so wish that it was everyday, but we'll take what we can get.  Brent and I both, (with out knowing it)  pulled her aside at different times and expressed our appreciation for her work, and for the nice calm sweet spirit that it brings to our home when she does this.  I was really a lovely day.

Alex:  Alex's "zone" this week was kitchen, so he was to do certain jobs in the kitchen all week.  On Monday we had a little 'how to' session on wiping the table down.  On Tuesday we had Chinese for dinner, which involved rice.  After dinner I saw Alex take the rag, and go stand at the table looking defeated...  He then went to the broom closet and got the dust pan and little broom.  I stopped him "Alex please don't use that broom on the table, it's dirty, it's been on the floor.  Just wipe the table like I showed you."  He stood there for a minute and then said "But mom, see, the truth is....  I don't want to touch that!" (as he pointed to the rice on the table)  He didn't want to sweep the rice off the table and into his hand.  Did this boy not just eat "that", he put it in his mouth, but wouldn't put it in his hand?  I kind of laughed and asked why...  "because mom, that is supposed to go on a fork, not in your hand."    This is funny to me because my little boy has always been a little 'anal' (for lack of a better word) and this just totally describes his personality.  What a funny kid!

Tori has been crafting her heart out, she absolutely loves to make cards and crafts.  The mess is so obnoxious, but she loves it, so I tolerate as best as I can.  A funny story about Tori's Friend...  I drove to preschool on Monday, and I took a little boy that we don't usually take, we picked him up and he climbed in my van, got all settled in his seat, looked up and said "Hey!  Where's your TV?"  LOL!!!  Are you kidding me?  This generation.... I am telling you.  It was like he'd never seen a car w/o a tv in it!  Too stinking funny.

Katie's Sou sou's (pacifiers) "broke" yesterday (I warn them that they are getting big and that their soothers will break when they are too big for them, then one day, I just cut the tip off them all).  She was sad.  It was kind of funny and sad to watch her discover that they were all broken.  I showed her one and said "uh oh Katie, Look your sou sou broke."  She looked at it, touched it, and then light heartily said "s'okay, anoder one." I handed her another (as she had 5 in her bed).  She looked at it. "uh oh, sits broked too."  I said "put it in your mouth, see if it still works."  She sucked it for a second "nope, it needs new batteries"  (LOL!!  Batteries!)  "hum, katie, I don't think batteries will help.  You got too big and they broke."  She took a turn with each of the 5, and then put them all in her bed for later.  Before bed she showed them to Daddy, we were all a little sad, for this is then end of an era for all of us.  I love pacifiers, I think they are cute.  I love the snuggles that I have had with my babies, all of which took place with pacifiers in their mouths, so to me, the signify, peace, rest and snuggles.  It is probably harder for me to give them up, then it is for the kids.  So she went to sleep okay. Apparently there was some discussion with Alex before bed, where he assured her that there was no more, and to just go to sleep.  But she made it.  Slept through the night (which surprised me!!!) and when i went in to get her this morning,  i said "Katie, you are such a big girl, you had a big sleep with out your sou sou's."  "Yup, you cut all my Sou sous."  (oh brother, great who told her that?)  Oh well, she did great.

We had a power outage this week, a large part of the day was w/o power.  We were reminded through the day just how much we use the electricity in our home.  The home was pretty well lit by sunlight, and so we were getting breakfast.. I cut off a piece of yummy bread and stuck it in the toaster.... ooops.  Then i went to the fridge to get a drink from the dispenser... ooops.  So I puttered around eating my bread.  Then I figured, the hot water tank is already full of hot water, I can have a shower.  Um, yeah, there is no window in the bathroom.  It was interesting to discover how much we use it, and also to see how quickly our house got cold, no wonder my heating bill is high, this house isn't insulated very well.  

I hit the mother load this week in the swimsuit department.  I am very happy that I now have several "water aerobics suits"  It is fun to have a variety and even more fun to get the GREAT deals that I got.  Yeah!

9 comments:

Barbara said...

=( Sad face for the sou sou's.I'm glad katie actually went to sleep though.
That's awesome that liza did so much for sunday. It's lovely to take in the moment when the kids are being good:)

Tracy said...

What? No tv in your car? How do your kids survive? That is so funny. That boy probably told his mom about the friend with no tv in their car -- living like pioneers! I'm with Alex -- I hate old food in my hand. I always put it in a napkin or where gloves. I don't think they make them in his size though. So fun catching up on your weekend!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Great idea on the pacifier weening. Taylor loves his (our first kid to use one). He sleeps with one and I dread the day when we need to take it away.....great advice! We will remember that one.

Tara said...

What a cute post! I love the post about that sou sou. That is too adorable. My father did that to me when I was little and my mother gave in and got me another pacifier because I was screaming so bad. Savannah was just plucked it out of her mouth a day before her 1st birthday and she never wanted it again.

I loved the comment about the little boy and the TV, that is too funny how kids just get accustomed to things and think it is odd that everyone doesn't have those things. :-)

Jeri said...

I loved picturing you during the black out! So funny! I did take a shower while ours was out (thank you window) and as I was showering I thought, "I'd better not use all the hot water, I need to run the dishwasher!" Oops, ya, electricity would help. =)

Brenda said...

Oh the binkies! It will be a sad day in our house too when we have to get rid of them. They are such a comfort to Raegan it kills me to think about it!
Thanks for taking our little friend to preschool this week! I will have to tell his mother about that... (:

Corinne said...

Nice job on the swimsuits!!

Kellie said...

I'm so glad you recorded those sweet moments with the kids. Lovely. I've started a private blog to do that because blogging is definitely my most successful form of journaling, but mine are just too old and aware for me to blog about them publicly anymore. Sam had a fit about me putting up his wrestling video.

Cami said...

Ooooh, the worst part is that someone told her you cut them! The little snooty. It is sort of sad to see them go, eh? Nice when it's pretty easy to say goodbye though.