Friday, February 27, 2009

I love days off school

I am blogging so that I don't cry.  No really.... I suppose I wouldn't cry, but I'm very frustrated.  So, today is a day off for the kids.  These days either go really good, or really bad.  They are never just normal.  So this morning Tori and Katie had a smack down, drag 'em out fight over a basket, yup, a basket.  Then Katie threw a temper tantrum over polly pockets, and threw her self on the floor.  3 out of 4 children whined and begged to eat a brownie before 8:30 am.  After staying up until 4:30 am getting my basement ready to show, by 10:30 the kids had it a mess again.  Alex got frustrated with the computer and broke the mouse.  Now the bottom falls off and the scroll wheel doesn't work.  Then they moved outside.  I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon "encouraging" them to clean up the back yard... pick up sticks, put toys away etc.  When the sun set, the job was done.  By 11:00 this morning they were out in the yard playing in their bathing suits.  YES!  I said bathing suits.  It is a balmy 60 Degrees, and windy, but when Liza gets an idea, they all have to do it.  (ARG)  So I figure, oh well, If they get cold, they'll get dressed.  No harm done.  Then I hear water!  Oh no no no, NO WATER!    (we don't have much grass in the back yard, so water = mud)  I told them No!   They pulled out beach towels and lounged on the deck.  I went down stairs to sort through a mountain of laundry ( to avoid having nightmares), when I came up Tori's ride to preschool was here (didn't feed her lunch and she was in her swim suit), and the kitchen floor (which it took me 4 hours to clean as I stripped and re polished it) had a lovely path of muddy foot prints running through it!  OH  DEAR CHILDREN!!!!  RUN for your lives.  Un-like my dear friend "C" I did not patently send them to their rooms and then hold them lovingly after I calmed down.  My guilty confession.... I yelled and threatened to make them kneel on the kitchen floor for 4 hours.  Then I handed them each a rag (despite the fact that we have a wet jet) and made them sweep and mop up the mess.  Then they had to clean the yard back up and then fold up all the towels and mess.  And so now that they have made the messes, and cleaned up the messes, they are back to complaining about being board and begging to watch tv, play video games, and get on the computer.  GRRRRRR.  I was going to take them all on an outing today, but decided to stay in 'cuz our friend "L" is supposed to be coming to power wash the house, and I should paint the front door. Oh what fun! 

 Alex's complaints for today:
-why am I the only boy in this family!
-all Tori wants to do is play babies!
-that dryer makes that buzzing sound every 2 HOURS!
-the dog is the only other boy and he can't EVEN pick up lego!
-why do you always yell?
-why CAN'T I play Wii????
-why CAN't I play XBox
-why do I always have to go to my room for throwing stuff?

Oh dear.... it's only 1:15!  How on earth are we going to make it through this day!?!?! 

9 comments:

Jeri said...

At least tonight is co-op! =)

Hang in there!

Cami said...

Oh my oh my oh my. This is sounding a lot like my day. A lot. But no swimsuits for sure. And apparently I am NOT the "dear friend 'C'" because when my kids mess up a place I've just cleaned for showing or inspections, I'm pretty sure there is spittle flying from my mouth as I scream. My neighbors are probably SO glad that abusive mommy lady is leaving already!

Scarlett said...

I am speechless...I feel so bad for you because I understand that frustration you are feeling and there's no way of escaping it while it's happening because you still have to push through it all. I know you're hanging on...clearing your "emotional" path as you blog about it and getting back to work anyway. Monday's coming...it'll take away your stress...even if it's just for an hour and 1/2. hugs.

Jared - Christina said...

Oh my word! I can't not even imagine the frustration of having kids out of school AND the house going on the market tomorrow! Hope you and Brent had a great night out tonight!

Jared - Christina said...

ps...maybe I should have Katie and Alex come play some time! Eli would gladly play with your only son...can he bring Star Wars Legos?? :)

Dawn said...

I'm sorry to laugh in your hour of torment but i just have a picyure in my head of them all playing in the garden in swimsuits and you tearing your hair out. My girls are too big to do stuff like that and sometimes i miss the silly times, frustrating time, it's too quiet around here sometimes : )

Jann said...

I hate, hate, hate days like this. I am sorry you are dealing with this. I think they have a radar and know mom is stressed, so we are going to act nuts. I hope you are having a better day today.

couplabz said...

I dread no school days too. I even dread early release day. We had early release yesterday and Eli ended up with finger nail marks on his back & neck and Dayle got a toy thrown at her. Nothing like your day though since I only have 2 kids.

What is it grandparents say? Some day you'll look back fondly on these days and miss them?

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

We all have guilty confessions, don't we? You have a lot going on right now. I think last year was the hardest for me, because of the moving stress. I look back on it now and think, how did we make it through? You are managing 4 kids, alone....and getting a house ready at the same time...... and keeping it clean too. ALL BY YOURSELF! Things were hard right after Greg graduated. I wasn't used to having him home....isn't that weird. All that time whining because he wasn't around, and then he was. I guess we had some unresolved resentments that built up over the 4 years of residency.