When I was a little girl, I thought that my mom was using me as a slave. As I am sure a lot of children believe. Little did I know that the job I was doing was most likely done again after I left, or was certainly less then done. As a mother I have learned that teaching your child to do a job takes WAY more time then doing it yourself. Letting a child do a job is scary and difficult.... you have to let them do it, and then leave it, call it good, when you would have done it much differently yourself. My house is not as clean as it should be a lot of the time because of this, I try very hard to not let my perfectionistic qualities shine through as I teach my children.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Teaching Children Responsibility.
Some days I am grateful that I have taken the time to teach them, and other days.... like today, I regret...
I woke up this morning to Liza making cup cakes. She needs them for her class party tomorrow. I bought the stuff and left it beside the stove to help her know that it is on my list of to-do's and will get done. I guess she figured that this morning would work. Even though she hadn't eaten breakfast and her lunch wasn't made and the bus was going to be here in 20 minutes. I came down stairs to find, under mixed cake batter in greased AND cupcake paper lined muffin tins. She had forgotten to dump in the little candies that make the batter festive, and she filled each wrapper right to the brim using a soup ladle. Oh my.... It took me longer to repair the damage then it would have taken me to make them myself. I don' t know what they will taste like, since as I was trying to spread the batter around I could see the powdery clumps of cake batter, and I am sure that those wrappers will look so gross as they are totally oily. But I suppose she gets to tell her class that she made them herself.
Ah joys of joys.
Posted by Christie at 8:32 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Luckily those box mixes are pretty hard to mess up. She will love telling *everyone* she made them:)
Your so good!!!
delicious!
You rock. I can so relate. I love the story that one of the general authorities tells about how he was letting his boys do a job and the neighbor came by and was criticizing him for not making them do it the right way and he says that he is not raising cows or grass or whatever it was, he's raising boys. I bet she loved telling them she made them herself. I also bet you let your kids dress themselves. :o)
True. True.
Your school lets you bring in baked goods? Lucky! I wish my kids could do that. There is a pride that comes from doing that. Instead I take them to Albertsons and they get to pick what they want to share with their class... whoopdeedoo!
My reaction is always the same too.. what now? What a huge mess! Then have to remind myself that it is all part of the process.
I'm sure liza was very proud and did a great job :D
Post a Comment