Monday, September 1, 2008

Great Grandma's


We went to Picture Butte twice while we were home.  Both of my parents grew up in or around this little tiny town in Southern Alberta.  They went to the same high school, but never really knew each other.  Both of their mothers (who are both widows) still live in Picture Butte.  My moms sister also lives in Picture Butte, we we get to see Autie Patty and Uncle Tom when we go too.  Auntie and Grandma Reeder put on a really nice picnic for us.  Tons to eat, and best of all (for me) grandma made her toffee dipped marshmallows (She calls them "caramallows")!  YUM YUM YUM!  Grandma treats are the BEST!
This is Tori and her Great Grandma Reeder.  Grandma brought a TON of popsicles and the kids needed em cuz it was really hot out there.  :-)
I always take pictures of my kids with my Grandmas.  I guess there is always a fear that they wont be there next time.... but I never take pictures of me with my Grandmas, so this time I did.  I can honestly say that there is not much more that feels as good to me as a squeeze from my Grandma.  I love the grip that she has on my wrist in this picture.  I can almost feel it.  :-)  Oh I love my Grandmas!
Katie wasn't too down with sitting on her Grandmas laps for pictures.  I should have gotten the camera out when they were reading together because they sat and read books for most of the time that we were there visiting.  Katie really took to Grandma Reeder.
It is so fun to watch my children interact with my grandmas.  They really love my kids, and my kids really love them.  It is truly "bliss" to watch them together.  :-)

This is my dads mom, Grandma Cook.  She is living in a home right now, she has Alzheimer's and her memory is fading quickly.  She remembers me, and who I belong to.  She even still remembers that I am married to Brent, but the kids, she's not so good at remembering them.  :-)  This really quite bothered Tori.  Tori really really loved Grandma Cook.  She sat on her lap and beside her on the bed for a long time.  They talked and talked, but Grandma kept asking her her name and how old she was.  Finally Tori asked me for a piece of Paper.  I asked her why as I fished around in my purse for a paper and pen.  She then wrote her name and a four on the paper.  "So Grandma can remember who I am and how old I am." 
The other kids in the photo are my cousins kids Hunter and Gemma.  My cousin Carey came and met me and Brent and the kids for an hour or so while we visited Grandma.  It was good to see her and the kids.:-) 
Me and my Grandma Cook.  "they" say i look like a Powell, which is her side of the family.  I've seen pictures of her as a child and I did look like her when I was little, so I suppose "they" are right. 
Carey and I.  You can tell we're family.  :-)  We had a lot of good times playing play dough at Grandmas.  We were aloud to play with Grandpas CB radio mic, so we used that to order various play dough meals.  some good memories of that.  
Tori had this tender moment with my Grandma.  She wanted to brush her hair.  Grandma was tickled.  She beamed from ear to ear the whole time.  She kept saying "I can't even remember the last time someone brushed my hair for me."  It was so tender and wonderful.  Tori ate up the Grandma love this whole vacation.  :-)  It was a wonderful time.  I love my Grandmas SO MUCH.  I truly wish I could live closer to them and I fear the dreaded phone call....Oh, we won't think about that.  :-)  They will live forever right?  :-)  

We had a great time on both of our visits to Picture Butte.  One time we did the picnic thing, and the second time we had Brent with us, so  we just did the rounds that day and then headed up to Cardston to the temple for our Family picture.  (that is still to come)  Getting tired of our vacation photos yet?  :-)

8 comments:

Jann said...

Grandma's are the greatest. What great fun.

kristin said...

there's just something about a grandma! I love their patience and ability to live in each moment! I love your grandmas, too! they're adorable!! cUTE pics of you, miss Christie...you're lookin' great, my dear!

Jeri said...

My favorite post so far! Love all the wonderful memories in this one!

Tracy said...

I love this post! It made me teary reading about Tori wanting her grandma to remember her name. And brushing the hair is just too sweet. So glad you had these moments together and will have pictures to always remember them.

tracey said...

Wow, look how big Hunter and Gemma are getting. That's cool you were able to meet up with her.

Kellie said...

I've completely enjoyed your vacation adventure writing and your photos. Great job getting it all recorded! I hope you had a nice day yesterday!

Cami said...

Oh, how cute! I LOVE the brushing hair. How lovely.

B.E.C.L Wall said...

What fun pictures and memories to go with them! You look great you tan woman!!!