In the many moves and adventures of my life, I find that I pick up different little things along the way. In collage I picked up an awareness of the real world (as most people do). I also learned that sometimes people use you and think nothing of it. I also learned that priesthood blessings are available and very very helpful. I left Rexburg with a greater love of the gospel and a testimony of priesthood blessings and a surety that my Heavenly Father loves me.
Our next stop was Salt Lake City, here I learned the importance of insurance, life, car AND homeowners (or renters as the case may be). I also learned that some people are down right crazy, and you can't judge a book by it's cover. I also learned here that my husband HATES noisy animals, and that having friends right next door is a blast! Mostly I learned here that even when you are incredibly busy (working full and part time), you find time to serve others and don't judge those you serve as you do it, AND men go into their own zone to decompress, (this I did not know and struggled with it for the first 18 months of marriage).
Living in Canada I learned that the grass is usually exactly the same color on the other side of the fence. I learned that having a baby is a spiritual experience, and I learned that sometimes the greatest of friends can become to heavy to carry and you have to lighten your load a bit and say no.
Back in Utah I learned to be kind to the elderly, they're usually very lonely, and some times a little cooky. :-) I learned that being a stay at home mom is harder then it looks, and I learned to love every moment that is given to us, life is precious. I also learned to trust in the Lord. Sometimes we don't know why He doesn't grant us our righteous desires until later in life, hind sight is always 20/20.
In Philly I learned that it sucks to be a minority, and to really truly treat others as equals. I learned another lesson in service and the importance there in, and also that love is very important to service, not just the act of doing it. I also learned to keep my mouth shut. (this was a hard lesson) I thought that everyone should know and follow what I learned at Ricks in my child development classes. I never thought about family functions, and personalities and the ability to adjust, it seemed so cut and dry then (oh how wrong I was!). This was my Red personality coming out, the controlling male force that I have, that wants to solve a problem rather then just listen to it. Don't offer advice unless asked for it, sometimes people just need a shoulder.
In Des Moines, oh my, is there a tender spot in my heart for Des Moines. I learned humility. Being on every government program on the planet just to get by and pay the bills will do that to you. I learned that I can be friends with ALL sorts of people, and there is common ground amongst us all. The beginnings of my "events coordinator personality began to emerge here in Des Moines, and I loved being busy doing free stuff. (Des Moines is great for free stuff to do). I learned that I am capable of doing things with out Brent, and that I have to support him in his vocation and his church callings. (Des Moines is a long one, cuz I learned a lot) I learned that our Family members who have passed on are just absolutely itching to be found and that we really need to do our Family History work and Temple work. The spirt of Family History is addicting and once you catch the bug it never goes away, (my flame for it right now is smoldering, but it can and will easily re-ignite) I learned confidence and the ability to kick back and laugh sometimes, and how fun it is to name things (thanks mere). I cried really hard when we left Des Moines there were some really pure and true friendships there. It was wonderful!
In Toledo I learned that Ohio sucks! (ha, just kidding) Anyway, Toledo was a fun time for our family. Just happened in an ugly state. I learned here to step out of the box with my clothing choices, throw in some color, and by golly, I look good in pink! I learned that I LOVE Young Women's. That was my favorite calling of all time. I love the young girls and their willingness to consider the opinions of their leaders. Ohio is where I picked up my Water Aerobics career. I have wanted to instruct the whole time I lived in Des Moines, but never did, and then started to in Toledo. I learned that the YMCA is a wonderful organization that helped our family through some hard times. I think my favorite lesson I learned in these two years is that you never ever ever know what someone else is going though. You know that grumpy lady at the store, or that crazy screaming man in the restaurant, maybe their spouse fell off the wagon last night and threw their whole career in the toilet, maybe their mother just died... we don't know. Smile at them, they could be having the worst week of their lives. You just never know! AND Cherrish every conversation that you have with loved ones, and hold them a little longer when you can because it may be the last time, and you never ever can know for sure. Always tell them I Love You, just so you can know for sure that you did.
And now to Maryland, which was the reason for this post, and it was initially going to be a silly little post, but turned into this emotional blubbering that is probably meaningless to everyone but me. Oh well you could have stopped reading, :-)
Here in Maryland I have learned that I am not the talentless schmuck that I thought I was. (thanks Jeri ) I have found amazing confidence through the lens of my camera. (this is where the monster comes in) I love to play with the camera and with photoshop! I could do both for hours and hours a day. It has been a wonderful experience to learn so much and I look forward to more knowledge! I have also learned that if you don't want to look old you have to take care of your face (thanks Scarlett), and that there is a lot to be said for expensive make up.(jeri again! pricey friend) (much to my bargain hunting chagrin. Oh how I do love a deal) So my stop here in Maryland, though not over has been a great confidence boost however it came with quite a price. Between the purchase of our first home (after 11 years in apartments), the addition of a 4th child, the dog (holy crap are those expensive), my photography stuff, and the make up etc... oh heaven help our budget. I may have to take a little time and look back on Des Moines lessons.
Life is sure special, there is so much to be learned. As I have learned all these lessons, I certainly don't live by them always, but it was really fun to look back at the lessons learned and take a minuet to recommit to becoming a better person every day and picking back up some of the things that I have learned along the way.
I am sure a boring post for others, but it has been a great adventure for me. :-)
13 comments:
I think this is a great post! How beneficial to look back on your life and really survey all the wonderful lessons you've learned over the years!
I was not bored. Very nice post. I like reading your journey.
Oh, I see, I see about the photography taking up hours and hours! I am already telling myself to limit my photo sessions to about one or two a week or I'll spend my entire life either behind the camera or in front of the computer (even more than usual!!). It's rather addicting.
And also, it's funny what different friends teach you. I remember when I learned from a friend in college that expensive bras make a huge difference in life. :)
Argh. That last one was me.
Great post Christie. I also find photography can be a little time consuming. ;-)
I love these thoughts; however long winded:) j/k
Very sweet post. It was great getting to know more about you.
Who created this monster? Hmmm. One of the only NAMES I see listed is mine. =) Sorry.
I loved reading this, some of the stories I know and some of them I don't.
Must be short..baby in arms. Beautiful post. Perfect timing for me to reflect on my life's map and be thankful for the placs I've been and the angels God has placed in my path.
You're such a neat person Christie. I need to go back and look at my own life like that :)
I really appreciate this post and knowing you more and better. You are amazing and wonderful and talented way beyond just your photography gifts. You make people feel good and loved and special. It sounds like you've been doing that pretty much all along. Hugs, friend
I thought that was an amazing post Christie!! It seemed almost like a testimony to me and I so enjoyed reading your thoughts!! You are awesome Christie and I'm so glad that my journey through Maryland has included being friends with you!!!:)
As the friend next door in Utah, I just wanted to say that we miss you guys very much! We loved living next to you and Brent and we look back with much fondness on that time in our lives. Remember the game "Beyond Seven" ;), or the frantic trip to the vet with poor Petri who had flown into the ceiling fan? Here's hoping you move nearby sometime soon!
Amy Jo
This is a great post Christie!! Thanks for posting it. I got a little teary. :)
Post a Comment