Our Fourth of July began with a Breakfast with the ward. I had the Hansens this weekend so we took two cars to the breakfast. It was a fun time. A little stressful at times when I would come up short on my head count, but not too bad. :-) After being there about a half hour, Liza and Maia came up to me and said "mom it's our anniversary!" I was lost.... they explained, 3 years ago, on the 4th of July, Liza and Maia spent their first night together at the Saunders home and then the fireworks at the Lake front. These two are the best of friends. They are so funny together, watching them brings back so many memories of me and my Best Friend Michelle. I remember those play dates, and sleepovers so clearly. Michelle moved when I was going into 4th grade. It is surreal when you realize that your children are going to remember these things.
After some eats the kids went to the playground and got super super dirty. I bathed all 6 of them the night before, boy was I kicking myself for doing that! They sure had a blast though. Here are some silly girls peeking through the port holes. :-)
Chow time. Some genius brought cold cereal. Easy, quick and well loved.
We were going to go to the fireworks, but the forecast was for 60% chance "scattered thunder storms". With just my 4, and Brent home, I would have braved it, but I wasn't about to do it with 6. (2-2 yr olds.... naw) So we decided at the last minute to have the Haneys over for a Bar B Q. We cooked up some hot dogs, and some Brats. It was a little wild in here with 9 kids and 4 adults, but it sure was a fun time! Barbara had the idea of decorating cookies, so week cooked up cookies after the BBQ and and the kids got to frost, drizzle and sprinkle the cookies.
After eating their weight in sugar, the kids ran circles around the house while we waited for the sun to go down. Then it was off to the front yard to do some "fire works".
The Haneys brought a pile of sparkers and bang snaps and snakes. We had a few sparkers that my neighbor gave us, but they were too short for the kids to hold so we lit them all at once and did a little ground show for them. They all sat so nicely and watched the show. It was so cute.
They each showed a healthy fear of the sparkers and were really cautious with them for the most part. No one was burned and all had a great time.
Eli was very afraid. He was staying clear of everything, and being rather quiet. He just was acting very insecure about the whole thing. Finally he agreed to do a sparker with Barbara, then he opened up his concerns. "My uncle Tommy played with fire and he got burned really bad. You're not supposed to play with fire, it is dangerous." Oh sweet boy, I never put two and two together, I am sure that he was so afraid, and confused. We talked to him a bit about how mommies and daddies are here and helping, and that he is right, that you shouldn't play with it. We must be very careful. He warmed up after this, but was still very cautious. So Christina can be proud in knowing that he has learned from his Uncles mistakes.
They all had such a good time. I am actually wondering if they are given the choice next year if they would choose this or the fireworks show. I think it would be a hard decision.
It was a fun week. We wrapped things up on Friday with a day of jobs. Brent was on call, so he missed the really fun part of cleaning up, but we got the job done. The kids worked really hard, and earned their privilege for this week. They want to see "Wall E" so that is on the agenda for this week.
This weeks plans, feel free to join us if you dare :-)
Monday: We are going to a play date at the Haneys (may want to call Barbara if you want to join in on this one :-) LOL!) We also have some cleaning and straightening around here to do. I teach water aerobics at 7:30pm.
Tuesday: Gym and Swim. It is supposed to rain, so I am thinking we will need to do an indoor activity. Maybe the indoor pool will be open and we can swim in there. My friend Aimee is teaching the kids swimming lessons on Tuesday in exchange for some photography. So we'll try to squeeze in somewhere. Liza has earned and been invited to a Sleepover with Maia, so she'll be out for the evening. I am thinking about taking the kids to the Climbing wall at the gym at 6:30pm, they have an intro lesson and them open climb at 7. Sounds fun to me. At least for Alex.
Wednesday: Alvin and the Chipmunks is showing at Columbia mall theater, for $1/kid. I've been advised to buy tickets in advance, hopefully we aren't too late. :-) I teach water aerobics at 7:30pm and Brent is on call, so we will all be going to the gym.
Thursday: The sun is supposed to come out, so we will be doing a gym and swim. I have to teach at 9:30 am, and then we'll stay for lunch and swimming. (89 degrees, partly cloudy) Hope fully we will have found some time to go see Wall E before now, but if not, Tonight is the night for Wall E.
Friday: Free Slurpies at 7-11. cuz it is July 11th. I teach this morning, so we'll do that, and then go and find a 7-11 to get our free slurpies! Ward Camp out is tonight, I know we will go for dinner and stay late, but Brent can't stay overnight because of an exam in the morning, so we will likely come home, and go back in the morning.
Sat: Breakfast at the ward and then Brents work is throwing a swim party for the whole family (boy am I glad I got that new suit, but what on earth am I going to do with my silly water aerobics tan line. :-)) I think Co Op is going to be tonight, so maybe Brent and I will get a date. Wow what a week full of stuff, not a whole lot of it fun. :-( boo. Maybe next week we'll adventure.
Oh and I want to plan a trip to Christmas Tree shop on the 26th of July. My proposal is all mom's no kids, leave early am, spend the day in PA, do the outlets up a bit, and hit Christmas tree shop on the way home. Of course this will include a stop at Sonic for lunch. ALL ABOARD!!! put it on your calendars Ladies!!
7 comments:
Fun post! I love that Maia and Liza remembered their anniversary! Funny girls.
I love the picture of Elek and the sparkler. Poor Eli, can you imagine what he was thinking watching all those kids with fire? I am glad he said something to you.
What fun pictures. It looks like you had a great 4th. I hope you have a great week.
Looks like a fun 4th! I hope you guys did get a date night because you guys deserve a break with all you do! Great fireworks pics!
I love sparklers! And I'm glad the weather's held for all your plans this week. Hope you're having fun!
Looked like a happy 4th!! Yay! Thanks for the info on free slurpies - we just might be heading to a 7 11 on Friday too.:)
Eli sure was a good sport for the fire works! The boys had a great time with the sparklers and the frosting!! :) You need to email me picts. barbara:)
You are seriously the busiest person I know! WHY was the park so dirty this year? My kids went straight from the car to the bath!
Post a Comment