Monday, June 4, 2007

Whisper Week

We started on Saturday night on a new adventure at our house. We have deemed the whole week "whisper week". This means just that.... for a whole week we are to only whisper in our house and car. This was inspired by the fact that if you whisper to a child they will actually pay attention and listen. I also hoped that it would help us to feel the spirit more and to bring the noise level down in the house. Alex is having the hardest time of anyone because he has been on a rampage lately and is finding it hard to yell and argue about stuff in a whisper voice. When reminded to whisper he just stops and gets very frustrated that he has to whisper to communicate. This was one of my major goals of this event, to help Alex calm down and stop being so grouchy. He likes to yell at his sisters and complain really loud, and argue with anyone and anything that crosses his path. However it is very hard to do all these things in a whisper voice. He is frustrated, but I'll tell you what, he sure has calmed down, even in 2 days. I am excited to see the results of my little test. If all goes well, whisper week will be followed by "song week" where every thing we say must be sung, this inspired by as discussion between Jeri and I about homes that have the spirit in them and how those homes "sing". (its a good story Jeri, you ought to relay it) That will be followed by B.A.R.F. week which stands for Be A Real Friend week. I think it will be fun. Crazy, I know, but I hope it helps invite the spirit and helps the kids realize that our home is sacred. :-) I'll keep blogging as it happens.

6 comments:

Jeri said...

Oh...Now I need to try this. We have had a lot of yelling around here lately. Yelling for silly reasons.

Let us know how singing week goes! =)

Mendy said...

Let me know how this goes, Christie! My boy has much the same temperament; I think we might do this! It sounds like a really good idea.

Jann said...

What a great idea. I often sing instructions to my kids. It makes them laugh, and I don't feel like a robot, constantly making demands. They will often sing back. My niece and nephew started me on this, and I thought it was so fun. The other thing I do, is when they say something that is a phrase in a song, I start singing. My sister sings the primary song, "When my mother calls me" to her teenage children to get them to do what she asks. She even does it in front of her kids friends. She says that now all she has to do is sing the first word, and they jump to. It makes me laugh. She recently got a cell phone for her oldest, and she is trying to figure out how to record herself singing that song, for her ringtone.

Julia said...

That sounds great! I wonder if I can teach my dogs to whisper... Also sounds like you're going to have a fun summer, starting out with all these weekly ideas. I look forward to reading all about it!

Jenni said...

I want to come to your house during singing week - how fun!! I should really give the whisper week a try as soon as school's out, I think I might need it!! :)

Cami said...

I'd like to know if that works. I don't know if I could ever get Ethan to do it, but we could always try. It would be nice if I could only whisper . . .