So, I've been riding my cousin to blog and then I realize that my own blog has been sleepily laying out here in the web world at the same time.
I went to Time Out For Women, in Memphis, last weekend. It was So great! We left on Friday at noon. The 3 big kids were at school and my sweet friend "Sister Brasher" took my Katie bug 'till Brent got off work. It all worked out great. The drive down was an adventure in and of itself. We started off with much teasing of the driver and her skills. She, being determined to show us what bad driving really looked like, made the bulk of the car ready to toss our cookies. :-) We learned to shut up and just ride in peace. LOL!! The most exciting part of the drive there was when the handy little gas gage that actually tells you how many miles you have left in the tank read 4 and the GPS milage to the next Gas Station read 3. That my friends was scary. Luckily tho, my dear friend Ryan offered the solution that she had brought her "tennies" so she would be getting gas for us. ;-)
We arrived at the Hotel just in time to check in and turn around to get over to the conference for the Friday Evening portions. We had a few TOFW first timers with us, so it was fun to be with them as they experienced it. Friday night we heard from Sis. Dew, who was actually not really there, but sent a Video of her talk. (This was the second time that I was told she would be at TOFW and she didn't show up) Luckily I'm not one of those "Sherrie Dew followers" So I wasn't terribly disappointed, but I do think that it doesn't shed a very good light on her. Saturday is always my favorite part, so I really looked forward to that. After the event on friday, we headed to the Hard Rock Cafe on Beale Street. Unbeknownst to me Beale Street is like Hollywood Bld. DUR..... I am telling everyone it's on Beale street, thinking that's just some street, turns out.. it's THE place to be on a Friday night in Memphis. It's blocks of bars, and the like, with people all over the place. Blocked off from traffic, the whole 9 yards. Anyway... there were 10 of us that were all trying to get a Cab over to Beale street for dinner, the first Minivan/cab that we got, we all piled in and the thing started on Fire! I'm not kidding you. This should have been a sign to go up and order pizza to the hotel room.
Unfortunately we misinterpreted the sign, we thought it was a sign to the cabbie who was trying to rip us off on the price of a cab to drive 1 mile!
We eventually, after much waiting got to the Hard Rock Cafe, only to find that they charged us a "Cover fee" to get in, and then once inside the live band was SO loud that we couldn't even talk to each other. We left! I forgot that Hard Rock Cafe is only a nice place to eat during the week. ;-( We finally found a place that wasn't a bar, where we could eat AND talk. Then we had to get a Cab home. The lovely people in the Restaurant helped us get back to our hotel. Once we got back, the pedicures and games and chatter and general merriment continued on till the wee wee hours of the morning. Sleep was minimal in that room, but that was to be expected. It was SOOOO fun tho.
Saturday was a spiritual feast! I LOVE LOVE LOVE listening to speakers and musical presentations. It was FANTASTIC! I will have to blog notes later on, but we all left so full we could pop. My 'cup' was so full that I joked that I would sit in the corner, with my hand over the top and shoo away my children so that they couldn't dip from my cup. I was so happy to finally get full. The theme this year is "hope" and the talks were great. Hilary Weeks was the music for Saturday and WOW was that great. My new favorite song is "if I only had Today." It's so fabulous!
We headed home late that afternoon, a happy little truckload of ladies. When we got home, Michelle and I weren't done having a vacation, so the two of us headed off to the movies. We stayed out and chatted again till the wee hours of the morning. I paid for my weekend for the next 2 or 3 days, but it was SO worth it! I love the gospel, and I love girl time. Combine the two and it's a sure winner in my book.
For anyone who is interested we are talking 'bout doing it again on October 22 and 23, going to Atlanta, GA. There will be a few repeats in speakers, but for the most part, we'll hear new voices and have new good times! It's like EFY for the women. It's awesome!
6 comments:
I went to TOFW last year and loved it! So glad you had some good spiritual time and girl time!:)
Sounds like fun. Maybe next year I can go too. Not in October though, because that is our 2 yr anniversary weekend. :o)
i so would LOVE to go...we'll see...nursing baby and all. :) wish i could have made this trip!
Sounds like fun! I wish there was a recording of all of you in the van when it caught fire! That would have been funny. I can only imagine the screams and then laughing after you were safe.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I've been once to TOFW and a couple of times to the BYU women's conference and they are favorites.
What a crazy trip. Jealous though... I want to go "walkin' in Memphis with my feet 10 feet off of Beale". I WILL go before you move!
Post a Comment