Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Happy Easter 2010

We kicked off our Easter Fun w/ a primary activity. Here is the 3 legged race at the party. Alex is in the brown shirt linked up w/ a girl in pink stripes. Tori is a little further back, she looks like she is doing the splits and her partner (Hayden) is wearing a pink shirt and denim capris.
Katie all chocolaty cuz that's what it's really all about right?
Katie on the HUNT! I love the determination in her face and the colored eggs all nestled in the grass. She has clearly honed in on an egg and doesn't even see the ones she is about to step on. :-)
We invited our neighbors to come to the hunt with us. They have a son Alex's age and a daughter Tori's age... PERFECT. They are great kids, we love to have them over to play. The 4 get along wonderfully. I foresee a lovely summer w/ our pals. This is Tori and Hayden.
Tori, a little chocolaty too. :-) Yumm
The next item on the list of things to do.... DIE EGGS for FHE.
It amazes me every year how much the kids LOVE this activity. I am such a craft scrooge, which is so weird, cuz I really pushed art when I taught preschool. I was the queen of messy sensory art. Now, I don't want to clean up one more mess then I have to ! Terrible mommy, I know, but I try to let loose every so often and let them paint or color eggs. :-)
Katie, SO proud of her eggs. One of them looked like a sunset. All orange and pink... it was lovely.

Tori is our little artist. She loves to draw and color. I should scan in some of her drawings. She is a sweet girl, and she sure wanted to make a really pretty egg that everyone would oggle over like we did over Katie's. She did make some beautiful eggs.
Alex's goal... a 1/2 and 1/2 egg. Uh, required much patience, but he achieved it!
And Liza, still not too old to have fun dying eggs. :-) She is a good sport.


Then came Conference and Easter Sunday.
Alex during Conference. Notice the pictures of prophets and apostles on the papers on the floor. He spent the bulk of his time trying to master the skill of catching a piece of popcorn in his mouth. He was getting pretty good by the end of the 8th hour.
On Saturday, we played our buzz word game again, and the kids did such a good job listening. But come Sunday, when they had baskets full of treats, the little bowls of snacks didn't motivate any further. We colored pictures and played a bit of conference bingo instead. It didn't go as smoothly, but they made it through. I am shocked that no one threw up from eating too much garbage in a 24 hour period! UH, yuck, it makes me sick to even think about how much they ate from Sat at 11 am to Sunday noon. BLECK!

Easter Morning... the Bunny was good again. Yummy treats, and little prizes.
And a hunt around the house for 'foil eggs' It took them until Tuesday at dinner time to find them all... and you know there still may be one out there somewhere. They did find the majority on Sunday,
but Alex, being a determined young man, who enjoys a good treasure hunt and also enjoys chocolate more then pretty much anything in life, set out on Tuesday to pursue the final 5 eggs that we told him we could still see.
I was sad today when he questioned me on the existence of said bunny. He found some jelly beans "THE EXACT SAME ONES AS THE ONES IN OUR BASKETS!" he accused. I told him that Easter candy goes on clearance after easter and, so what if I happen to enjoy those kinds of jelly beans! I think he kind of bought it... but not fully. I think we are nearing the end of his believing phase. :-( Too early if you ask me. He also asked me how Dad and I knew where all the eggs were. I told him that I've been hunting eggs since I was a little girl, so I'm good!

Tori was SOOO excited for Easter that apparently they were up pretty late chatting up in anticipation. Then Tori was up at 5 am!!! Tooo excited to wait. She woke Alex and Katie! By the time we were doing the "hunt" Katie was too tired. She looked for a few, but really, she was too sleepy. She crashed while the kids ran around her collecting eggs. I felt sad for her. She was okay tho, and her brother and sisters shared a lot of their eggs with her. She got her share of candy.
Sunday evening I made the kids get all gussied up and took them out to take some pictures. I have individual ones that I will post when I get to them, but for now, here is the whole tribe.
I am sad to say that Liza no longer matches the little girls. :-( Boo hoo... so I hid her behind them so you'd never know. :-) HE HE.
And a welcome to spring. Oh it was such a beautiful evening and the light was glorious. Awesome
And I LOVE this one of Liza. I think the light is so pretty. And the girl 'aint 1/2 bad if I do say so myself. Course I could be biased.
All in all, we had a lovely Easter Holiday.. did all the "stuff" and enjoyed some time together.

8 comments:

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I love the matching dresses! I need to find some for me and Sadie....maybe....I am with you on the cleaning up after a craft activity. It sometimes makes it not worth it.

Tobie said...

I love the girl's dresses.....so cute!

I can appreciate Alex and his popcorn challenge during conference! Sounds like something my boys would do! As Jace always tells me "that's just what boys do!"

Looks like you guys had a good Easter! And didn't you just love Conference? So good!

Cami said...

Katie is so big! Love their Easter dresses! I told my kids long ago that sometimes we supplement the baskets and stockings and whatnot with stuff we wanted to give them. Looks like a lovely Easter! Missed your annual hunt. :(

tracey said...

We totally missed the egg dying thing this year. Afer reading your post I'm wondering whether we should do some post easter egg dying.
I love those yellow bushes. I want on in my yard. They always mean spring to me.
I LOVE Katie's face in the first group photo! So cute! Good lookin' bunch! I can't believe how much Katie is starting to look like you.
What an awesome easter!

Jared - Christina said...

What happened to Katie??? She looks SO BIG!!
Cute dresses and cute Easter fun. I love to see pictures of everything going on with you guys. :)

Kellie said...

I agree-love the close-up portrait of Liza. She is not a little girl any more. Her whole bone structure has changed. Lovely, lovely photo essay. I'm glad you had a good weekend.

Drea said...

You have such a beautiful family!! I can't belive how old Katie has gotten. Time really flies. It looks like you had a great Easter.

Barbara said...

How did I miss all these post?!!
Your easter adventures look so fun:) I even noticed some picts of Brent in there too. -it's so nice when both parents get to be around ;)
I love the pict of alex stretching as far as he can and adding the pencil for further reaching...hehe! And it's nice to see that my kids aren't the only ones still wearing their christmas jammies on easter-haha:)