Sunday, July 12, 2009

Blog To Do

2 blogs ago, I did a to do list. So here is that post. We took a day before we left MD to go and see Harpers Ferry. I really wished that I knew American History better then I do. I like to tell my children what they are looking at and the significance of where we are. I was not able to do this very well. I tried to read the signs and then "translate" for them so that they would get a bit of an understanding.
Mostly tho, we took pictures and went for a nice walk. We talked about slavery, but my kids are pretty well educated in this department. So really I didn't tell them anything that they didn't already know from school. Alex however did like the cool weapons. And Liza liked the statue of a girl making their food. :-)
We went up to a look out spot, as per the advice of a local who was doing some repairs on his 120 year old home. This is the Shenandoah river, um... He called the view AMAZING. not the word I would have used, but I took a picture anyway. Seriously though, there wasn't even enough blue in the picture to saturate it to look like it was really water and not mud. :0)
The highlight for the kids was the stop for milkshakes. Everyone but Liza enjoyed theirs. Liza said... "mine just tastes like milk" She ordered raspberry, I thought it was pretty good. When ever we go out as a family and purchase a little treat for everyone, we gasp at the cost, and then comment on why big families never go out to eat. Sometimes we forget that we are kind of a big family.
The rocks, and 100 yr old buildings and stairs around the town made for some perfect photography spots. The kids perched themselves up on this ledge all on their own.
See that cool rock behind Alex. COOOOOOLL texture. :-)
I think this is one of my all time fave pics of Katie! This is a total Katie face! She is such a sweet heart!
I would have posted some pictures of farther back with scenery, but I seem to be having trouble with any kind of shot where I have to back up at all. They go blurry, which is really a shame cuz there were some really cool 100 year old window and door frames to pose in. :-(

Also I said I would post about my hair cut. So after months of growing out my hair, my sides were long enough to do this A line cut. I do so love it. I set up the camera for Liza and had her take a few shots from all angles so that I could show my next hair dresser just what to do.
As per the request of some, here are the shots. I also got highlights, which I love. It's so fun to add some depth to my almost black hair.
Liza did a pretty good job.. wouldn't you say?

A couple of stories to wrap up all the photo craziness. As we were embarking on this move, I was having a really hard time convincing myself that the move was going to happen. I kept putting it off in my mind. One night, during my prayers, I asked Heavenly Father to help me to realize that this move is going to happen and that i need to get motivated and get some things done to prepare for the movers. The next day, I woke up and just started doing things, the to do list in my head was so clear and the jobs were just rolling along. It wasn't until about 4 hours into the day that I realized that I had my prayers answered. I had forgotten that I had prayed for His help, and it was quite a strength to me to know that He heard my prayers and helped in me in this little way. What a relief to be told once again, that I am not alone.

The Meow meow secret. Katie is so funny. Brent whispers to the kids all the time... tells them that he loves them. So for a while there, Katie would say "mommy, I want to tell you a secret." and then she would whisper "I love you." but one day, she said, "wait, I want to tell you the meow meow secret." I said okay... thinking hum, this is new... what could this be? I lean in for my secret and she whispers "Meow meow."
That's it... that's the secret. But she does it ALL the time. Probably cuz it makes us laugh. And she was so sure at first that it was such a secret, even though the name of the secret was the secret. :-) She has in the last 2 weeks developed many animal secrets including the ruff ruff, and the moo moo secret. I'll tell you what, you can't get out of her room at night with out hearing at least 3 secrets.
She is such a sweet girl.

Soon to come is pictures of: my 2 little additions... and the loved trampoline. Maybe a shot or two of the box chaos that is my house. And more on life in TN.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

I love the harpers ferry shots! Did you get one of liza? I love all those rocks the textures are amazing:) I thought you took those picts of your hair. Liza did do a great job. But thats easy when you've got such great hair! right=) What two additions!?!?! You haven't mentioned anything new! Can't wait to see some tn picts!

Jann said...

The pictures of your kids are amazing. I love your new hair! You look fantastic. I am very curious as well about your two additions. You had better post that soon.

Holly said...

WAY cute hair cut, girl!!!! You are WORKING that cut, girl! You look smashing! And, that pic of Katie is SO adorable. She is darling! That shirt on her is so cute. I love color.

Harpers Ferry was awesome. I miss the EAST!!!!!!

Cami said...

Thanks for getting us all caught up. LOVELY pics. Those kiddos are the cutest. I was the same way about the move. I liked that story.

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Some of us grew up in the U.S and took American history classes and don't know the history. Uhh....where/what is Harpers ferry?

Jeri said...

That picture of Alex is the best!! He looks so handsome! Love the picture Liza took of you too. I think it is time for you to send your camera to canon! You will be so much happier to have it fixed.