Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Developmental Age

It's 2 am, but i just had to take a min to share what happened today.

I took the kids to the Dr.  Alex and Liza had well child checks.   As I left the Dr handed me papers about each child.  (no big surprise, been getting those since week 1 right?) 
So at the top It says:  Elizabeth Wall
Physical Development:
-is energetic and spirited
-is usually awkward
-strives to be physically fit
-is fascinated with how the body works
-enjoys bathroom humor
Emotional Development
-Goes back and forth between being a dependent child and independent pre-teen
-becoming more and more self-conscious
Social Development
-wants approval for being "good"
-becoming preoccupied with opposite sex
-relates to peer group intensely and abides by group decisions
-confides in "best friend" constantly
-can be fickle

Alexander Wall
Physical Development
-favors competitive games
-has better hand eye coordination
Emotional Development
-getting better at putting negative feelings into words
-blames others for his own mistakes
Social Development
-has a best friend of the same sex
-seeks approval of peers as well as adults
-takes it upon himself to enforce rules
-tattles on other children who are misbehaving
-tends to be quite critical
Mental Development
-wants to be first, best, perfect and correct in everything
-is greatly concerned with right and wrong

Now both of them had other things listed, but I was struck by how many of their personality traits at this time are Developmental!   I guess I studied Child Development, but I payed such close attention to the under 5 yr olds that I forgot that the trend continues.  I guess I am somewhat relieved to discover that they are just acting like typical kids.  That maybe, just maybe Liza wont make farting noises in her armpit on a date when she is 17, and that someday Alex will be able to apologize to his wife when he is wrong, and openly admit that he has made a mistake.   Sometimes I get caught up in trying to figure out how to teach them to become the best people that they can be, and i forget that sometimes they are just acting like every other kid their age.    So there you go.   I just thought it was interesting.  And also a good way to journal their personalities at this time since I only pulled out the features listed that applied to each of them. 

8 comments:

Jann said...

That is awesome. I am amazed that your doctor gives you these. My kids Dr. gave those to me when they were little, but not now..

couplabz said...

Don't we all need those reminders? I get those reminders from weekly Parent Center emails. Every time I get one the title jumps out at me and I usually end up saying YES (I have this problem) to the title. The last one was 'How to keep your kids in their beds' and I immediately went to find out. Alas, it wasn't any help. Eli just can not put himself back to sleep without being in our bed. But I love knowing that someday he won't come climb in our bed and so I enjoy every morning that I wake up with him there next to me all snuggly and warm.

Becca at Motherhood "perfected" said...

Thank you Christie, I am now a little relieved about my 9 soon 10 year old now too! Phew!

Tracy said...

I've never had such a detailed report like that on my kids. Wow. It would be interesting to see what they said about my kids -- and a little scary!

tracey said...

I too am surprised by such a report. You really didn't think they were delinquent did you? Cool to have a record of what you told your Dr. and his perception. That will be a neat record for your kids.

Jenni said...

Wow, that is very thorough! What a great snap shot of their ages! It is amazing to me how Sophie is now at an age that I remember myself being so well - it helps me remember that we were all a bit moody at 9 almost 10!:)

Tara said...

That is so neat that your doctor gave you that and what a way to note their personality thus far. I have never seen a report like this.

Cami said...

What? Men openly admit they've made a mistake, ever?? Crazy cool . . . :)

Isn't it nice to find out some things are just normal? Oh, I love when I find those things out about my kids--even though it doesn't make it any easier.