Over the years I have developed several forms of Therapy.
There is my favorite, and my "drug of choice" Retail Therapy: At this time of year, this is not much of an option... who goes out and buys themselves stuff 10 days before Christmas? As for my go to substitute for buying for myself, this is not the best time of year to be spending money on "household items" either.
I would say that my second favorite form of Therapy would be Gal Time: At this time of year.... not plentiful. With all the hustle and bustle of the season, folks going out of town, folks coming into town, there is not a whole lot of gal time to be had.
When budget restricted and alone, I tend to turn to Chocolate as my third option: Oh, this time of year offers a spread of treats beyond belief, and also the excuse that "the diet begins in January." However, my Chocolate/ treats don't seem to be helping much.... and so the search continues,
So here I am reading blogs and writing a blog.... seeking therapy through my glowing box. Hoping to be sucked away from life's troubles, and into a world of bliss. (I'll tell you if I find bliss in the glowing box, but I am not hopeful)
If none of that works, I will be forced to try another twilight fix. Either another viewing of the movie, or hours sucked into the book. With the busy season at hand, I doubt that I will take the time to read the book again, so call me if you want to join me at the show. :-)
I used to run to the gym every time I needed a lift... maybe I should do that again... right now, I feel like my kids are tired of the gym and to ask them to go any day that I am not working, makes me feel like I am pushing my luck. I know however that when we move, we are ALL going to miss this gym, in all it's beauty, and I will regret not spending more time there. I also feel like my water classes are getting boring.. I need to jazz things up a bit, but when I do, these poor students look like a bunch of Birds going all the wrong way. :-)
When all my ideas seem to fail, I end up a blubbering mess at 2 am. Which is not Brents favorite time of day. I think that sometimes I spend the day seeking seeking seeking something.... and when nothing works, and I give up finding something at 2 am, thats what happens.
What am I seeking therapy for? What is it that I am running from? Oh, worries, and fears mostly. The whole moving thing... I've adjusted rather well, and quickly I think, to the idea that we will likely land somewhere small, when I will need to find a new way to fly. But for years and years, seriously.. like 8 years! I have been looking forward to the days when we would be done being the peon, and begin making money, and working 'normal' work hours. We found out LONG ago that our pay in the army would be significantly less then a civilian Dr. and we've dealt with that lost dream. But I never imagined that the hours wouldn't get better. Every time life turns over, and we begin a new chapter of this medical tour, I get told that things are going to get better, and every time, it gets worse. All through residency I've been told that the hours get better the longer you're there. That by his 4th year, it should be better... not so.... not yet. So I was looking to after graduation, when we would be working with for the army, as I hear stories of Dr's for the Army wrapping up the work day at 3 pm. I was sure that we would be a "normal" family soon. That my husband would come home after a 8-9 hour work day and help out, that I could count on him for dinner, and FHE. That my kids would know more of who he is, and would feel more connected to him.
Upon some research of the places that the army is looking to send us, we have found that at a lot of them Brent would be the ONLY ANESTHESIOLOGIST !!! Oh yes, the only... in a hospital where they deliver babies. Oh yes, that means call... oh, no not every so often... every single day?!?!?! What the heck??!?! We haven't found someone to confirm our fears, but how else do they run a hospital with only one Anesthesiologist? Why oh why can't we have a 'normal' go of things... just for a while? not forever, but just for a while.
And so I seek on... seeking strength to do ANOTHER 4 years on my own. Another 4 years with an exhausted husband and absent father. I thought it was over.. that is the hard part. I thought it was a light at the end of my tunnel. Once AGAIN, it's not the end of the tunnel, it's another frigging on coming train!
12 comments:
OH FRIEND. It's so hard when you keep thinking things will get better...only to have them looking hard again. Our years of school seemed unbelievably never-ending and I got so tired of being a married single parent. I am HOPING that they find it in their army hearts to send you somewhere with a massive TEAM of anesthesiologists :)
He would be the only anesthesiologist?? That is horrible... I really hope that's not the case! I'm so sorry for this hard time you are going through. I wish I was there to see Twilight with you countless times to help you out!!:)(Twilight has actually been my personal brand of therapy since the movie came out...)Best wishes Christie and I'm sending good vibes your way!!
I am sorry that the saga of craziness continues! I love you and wish I could come take your kids and housework for a week! I hope that things are settled quickly and the news is positive. You are an amazing woman who has been working overtime just as often as your husband and doing it with 4 passengers in tow! I would love to go see Twilight again with you even if it's via phone! Love ya!
Sweet Christie, I'm so sorry. I hope you get to be somewhere that he can be home more. I love your therapies though -- I hope something works to make you feel better soon.
I know for certain that at a lot of small hospitals, military ones included, have CRNAs on staff, who can take care of labor epidurals and the like. So, while it may sound daunting that he would be the only anesthesiologist, it isn't as bad as it seems. Try and keep your spirits up. I'm a firm believer that things always work out the way they are supposed to. :)
Amy
I am so glad we got to sneak out for a minute tonight. We looked so cute!! =) I am so thankful for you. Keep your chin up, and at the end of all this our Heavenly Father will want to say, "See I told you I would take care of you. All that worrying for NOTHING." (He has already BOUGHT the "Nerf gun.")
I have felt that drowning feeling before in my life where no matter how many things I do I am still at the bottom trying to find the top so I can breath again.I've tried to keep my feeling away from my kids and hope that we would see our way through and that's just it we get through, maybe not the glorious way we think we'll get there but you do what is required of you. You have such a high spirit that no matter where you end up you can do this because you've done it in the past. Everyone says that god will give you what you can handle and thats wrong he gives us what we can't handle so that we will turn to him just so we can make it. Try to relax and know that you are loved, that you have friends that will be there for you. I hope that you get it better then you think is coming.
OH, Christie...I'm sorry to hear you feeling soo overwhelmed. Bleck!
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you, and not to harm you, to give you a HOPE and a FUTURE"...this has carried me lo these many years :)
love you...Lean on Him!!!...:)
One of my favorite scriptures is:
"My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers (many afflictions)....Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing." James 1:2-4
I have seen this scripture work miracles in my life and I know the Lord does not lie. Therefore, trust in Him, confide in Him and learn of Him. Lean on us, your sisters for support as you perfect yourself through your afflictions and as those bring about the patience that is w/in you which promises to "perfect" you; so that one day you will be able to stand next to Him who breathed life in to your nose and hear His voice say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord."
You can do this, and you will!
I love you!
I know you are tired of it all. Keep up the good work! I don't know anyone more capable than you are. You are a great mom, wife and friend. You are doing a great job and will be rewarded in the end. You will get your husband back. ALL OF HIM! (if you want details we can chat later.) Plus two nice bonuses every year, that take the edge off of hard times. Then let the therapy shopping begin. And of course the spiritual rewards of being involved in the greatest work there is.....raising kids! Keep your head up....you are almost there.
Oh man. I don't like that hospital. Not for you, and not for women in pain who have to wait for him to get out of bed and come on down.
I have a therapy called sugar popcorn . . . but that's no good. Running is much, much better.
Good luck.
Christie you are amazing! Hang in there. I am so so sorry. You are a good woman. I sure admire you. Man it has to get better RIGHT!
Post a Comment