So although I have other things, like new years (which I have pictures to down load) to blog about, I just needed to write out (for therapeutic reasons) what is going on right now. A Doc. from Walter Reed (that's DC) has offered Brent a Fellowship. What does this mean? It means that if we take that position, we will stay for one more year......... however, it also means that we will owe the military one more year of pay back. (meaning that we will be set back 2 years) There is positives and negatives to this:
Pro's
-hours are supposed to be 6-3 m-f. No call, no weekends.
-we don't have to sell the house in this market.
-we stay in our ward, and with our friends
-brent has a specialty under his belt for when we hit the civilian job market. (in 6 years!)
-we are supposed to have more of a say in where we land for payback. Will not get placed in a med-cen (small hospital)
I don't know what to think...... We've worked over how old the kids would be... what grades they would be in, what would be best for them....
I love my job here, the kids have friends, I have friends. They wouldn't deploy Brent while in the fellowship, so we wouldn't have to face that for another year. But 2 more years of military pay where we could be making civilian pay.... hummm, doesn't sound so good. 1 more year on top of our 4 where they could deploy him at anytime..... hummm???
Oh dear... what to do... what to do...
Eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food! MMMMMMM
Con's
-we stay in our little snugly home, one more year.
-liza will start middle school here and then have to switch schools in the middle of middle school.
-Tori will start kindergarten here and then have to switch schools
-2 more years till we get out!
-our life is still in the hands of the army, and they will still say where we go, it will just be a year from now, instead of now.
Oh the anxiety! I don't even know what to think. If we knew where they were going to stick us for the next 4 years it would help with the decision, but we don't know. It is difficult to choose between A, and BCDEFG or H. I don't want to jump on this offer just so that we feel a sense of control for a moment, because inevitably it is out of our control anyway. I want to make the best decision for our kids.
13 comments:
FAST and PRAY
I have shed bucketfulls of tears over the years over unwanted moves, choosing MORE training, lack of control etc etc. I'm right there with you. It has always worked out, for every militray medical family we know - one way or another, deployments and all. And I think that is just because even what appear to be the worst case scenarios, aren't actually that bad, are only temporary, or change course sooner than expected. In the end it's all good :) We have learned that Army moves are like contractions. Breathe through them and they are less painful and usually result in unexpected joy. However it plays out you will have more money than you need, you'll have each other, and have great job security! Not too many people have that these days!
NO CALL! NO WEEKENDS! I would say stop right there and sign up, sister! Besides, Tori will survive changing kindergartens, and who knows? Maybe Liza will end up hating her middle school and WANT to move. Ehhh? Look at me, running your life for you--what a friend! I think you owe me some Cheesecake Factory for all this free, fabulous advice. ;0)
I'd rather choose which flavour ben and Jerry's i think. At least we had no choice when our Tour of duty ended or where we would go. but you know it has worked out so far with friends and stuff so i think wherever you are you'll make friend cos thats the kinda person you are super friendly
More choices....One day you will be exactly where you want to be :)
Good luck:)
The hours do sound good:) (6-3)
I agree with anonymous fast & pray about it. Whichever you choose I'm sure it will work out for y'all and be exactly where you want & need to be. Good luck.
That is so hard. I will keep you in my prayers as you are making this decision. It is tough when decisions like this alter your life path.
You could end up moving to a place that has a Jr. High so Liza would end up starting 7th grade with everyone else in the school. See? Doesn't that make it all the more clear?
Ditto to Anonymous!
Oh, wow. What are you going to do? It would be great if you stayed -- but that's purely selfish on my part. I would miss you!
Oh friend. Honestly, sometimes it's just better to be told what to do, so you don't have to make the decision. I know you'll work it out, I'm not going to advise one way or the other. Like anon said (and Mendy) Heavenly Father is so in charge of you. I'll be paying attention to see what happens :)
Yep, I guess fasting and prayer is the thing but I feel for you during the process. I too hate decisions, I always second guess myself. There are certainly worse spots to be in, at least you have too many opportunities to choose from and not too few, right?
wow! That's a big choice. What is the fellowship in?? Is it something he's interested in?? I would leave this one up to my husband. As tough as that is sometimes...sometimes you just have to let the lead dog lead (or so I've been told :)
Trauma!! Good luck. Maybe you just need a year break to keep going??
Post a Comment