Alex and I went to his "great to be 8" meeting on sunday. On the way home he expressed his excitement for his baptism date and told me how he wanted everyone to be there. He then sighed and said:
"mom, how long does it take to get to Germany?" (his friend Micah moved there about 8 months ago..... he misses him)
"long time Alex"
"What if I drive in a car?"
"Even longer buddy"
"what if I go on a boat?"
"still longer then if you took a plane"
(getting frustrated at the impossibility of his plan)
"What if I get in a car, then on a boat and THEN on the plane?"
"What if you had this really cool time machine, where you just got into it, and pushed a button and zoom, you were there in Micah's living room?"
"COOOL!!!!"
(This is the little tid-bit of info I learned from Brent this week while we painted. He informed me of how boys love to play "what if" with really wild ideas. So I've been using this tactic with Alex and it really cheers him up. Hilarious!)
Then after some batting around of this wonderful travel machine ideas, he says:
"mom, why do we have to move?"
"cuz it's time to go on to the next place."
"But we'll be moving away from Wyatt."
"I know buddy, but the next place we go will be SO cool and we'll always be friends with Wyatt."
"No we wont mom! He won't EVEN be my friend anymore, no he will just be my COUSIN!"
"What?"
"yea, now we have to live so far away, he will be my cousin."
Oh how sad that my son thinks that cousin means friend that lives far away......:-( what happened to the days when your cousin lived so close they were your best friend. :-( Boo. I hate living so far from family.
I didn't bother explaining it to him at this time. I just let him be. We'll talk about what a cousin is later. Poor guy, he has such a hard time making friends. He will miss his buds.
7 comments:
I'm so sorry for the craziness surrounding moving!! It sounds like you guys are very busy. Ben constantly asks why we couldn't have just moved to Utah instead of Colorado so we could be near his cousins. Our move is still hard on my sensitive boy... I hope that your new place with have lots of little boys Alex's age!!
That is sad for him. Hopefully he will make lots of friends at the next place.
I think it is sweet to think of him as a cousin. My kids' cousins are their most favorite friends. And you always get to have great visits with your cousins, stay up extra late, eat junk and party time for everyone!
I like the "what if..." game. I'll have to try that with the boys!
It is hard being far from family. My kids really don't know any different to feel bad about it. It is just me that knows what they are missing. It is really hard to move away from friends. You guys will be missed.
That's so true about boys and the what if game. Growing up I had to share a room with my two younger brothers and almost every night I had to make up some what if story for them.
I feel bad for Alex, I never was very close with my cousins growing up and now I'm much better friends with my wife's cousins than my own.
awww.. how sad that the people that live away are "cousins" :(
Once you know where you are going you can get him all stoked about the new town and the things there are to do there. My kids LOVED looking at the computer about their new town. Soon..
Micah misses Alex too. We would love to hop into a time machine and be at his baptism! It is so hard to see our little ones with their one personal trials......
Post a Comment