Monday, March 10, 2008

Things I don't want to forget

You know there are always things popping into my head,  memories that I hope I will never forget.   I thought I would make a running blog of these things as I think of them, kind of like a backward journal.   


I never want to forget...
... the day when Brent got down on all 4's and put a cow blanket over himself and went into little 18 month old Liza's room mooing.  She was very afraid, she stood frozen in her place and tried to yell for me but was so terrified that she couldn't get her voice to work.  Just this horse little "mom" squeaked out.  It was so funny.

...how Alex talked as a toddler.  Alex annunciated every single sound perfectly in each and every word he spoke.  It was the funniest thing.  He never spoke baby talk, he never had any silly words, he spoke clearly and perfectly from the get go.  

  ... the day when Tori (at about 18 months old)  woke up and stood in the kitchen and looked at the drapes horrified and muttered something about a frog as she pointed to the drapes.  Upon some questioning we realized that she had a bad dream about frogs in the drapes.  She was scared of those drapes for months.  

... the smoke alarm in our house in Maryland goes off if you leave the bathroom door open during a shower.  This terrified Tori, she would lay outside the bathroom door and cry and cry and cry for the first 6 months that we lived here... it was horrible.  

... when we lived in Philadelphia and Liza was about 2 she adored garbage day.  When she would hear the truck she would yell "it's my lucky day!!" and she would run to her huge bedroom window (it went clear to the floor) and she would watch as the big truck would pick up the dumpster and dump it all over the top.  The garbage man would have to get out to make sure that it picked up the dumpster right, so he would wave at her, and sometimes honk his horn.  They had quite the relationship.  Sometimes he would even shake it a few extra times, just for her.  

... as a toddler, Alex rubbed his head around a lot.  I don't know why, but it was not uncommon to find him rubbing his head all over the couch even into his preschool years.  One day he was crawling around board out of his mind, and decided to drop his nose down onto the carpet as he rubbed his face and crawled.  What a mess, he totally rug burned his nose.  Poor kid.  He didn't do that again though.

... When we lived in  Toledo, after Tori was born, I would sit in the rocking chair and  nurse tori while Alex was board most of the time.  One day he went in the "junk drawer" and got himself a pen, then came into the living room and stuck it between the carpet and an area rug.  Then he went back and forth from the kitchen to the rug in this fashion until he had constructed a very nice bridge with his pens.  All of them standing upright and propping the rug up just so.  

... Liza called oat meal "opee meal" for the first 3 years of her life.  She was always making up words, and still does make up words.  "Benchie" meant wobbly.  "Swop"mean hit.

... Katie called Chocolate "clocklate".  And she absolutely loves the stuff. 

... Alex, my boy who hates to eat meat, and will take a half hour chewing one small piece of meat had BBQ pork ribs for his first birthday and he pigged out.  

...  More to come as I think of them 

4 comments:

Drea said...

This is such a great idea. I think of doing this often when I remember fun memories with Mom. You have inspired me. :)

tracey said...

Don't forget the poop dance!! That's my favorite!! The whole Alex writing butt episode was rather humerous as well.

kristin said...

oh..i love that idea. I'm getting sentimentaller and sentimentaller every day. my friend lent me the most amazing mothering book yesterday. I can't even finish it! I well up everytime I even crack it open. It's about we, as mothers..celebrate all our children's "firsts"...and it's about their "lasts"....ouchiewahwah! (it's called "Let Me Hold You Longer", by Karen Kingsbury) I think it's going to be my new standby baby shower gift!

Deb said...

i love them! those are the things that balance out the tantrums and less fun mothering moments. :)