Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Good Old Hockey Game....

( above photo courtesy of Kevin Logan Photography)

On Wednesday Brent and I were lucky enough to get to go and see the Calgary Flames play the Washington Capitals right here in Washington D.C.   We have waited and waited to see the Flames here, they only come every 3 years.  When we got the schedule and found out when they were scheduled to play we snatched up tickets straight away.  We got our tickets off of "Stub Hub" a site where season ticket holders sell their tickets that they don't want.  Our tickets said that we would be right by the visitors tunnel, and we figured that we would be somewhat close, but we really were RIGHT by the tunnel.  I was Kicking myself for not bringing my camera, as Brent's I Phone has the slowest shutter speed on the planet!!!! I tried to take pics of them coming and going, but they were going too fast, and for some reason not one of them would pose for me.  
In the above  picture you can see how close we were to the ice!  That's the old "Kipper" in net there, see how there are only 3 rows in front of us!!!  OH my!  We were actually a little chilly because we were so close.  It was a good game, score was pretty even, but as always they lost.  Brent and I have been to a whole lotta Flames games and they are really a pretty good team, but I guess we are the "Goochers", cuz we've only seen them win once!!   Before the game, I tried to get Jerome Iginla to sign one of Brent's Jersey's, but he just said, "Sorry..."  And kept walking.  And after the game, they were all FAR too mad about loosing to be signing stuff.   Too bad!  I don't know that we will ever get that opportunity ever again.  
They kept their sticks right there beside us, every one of them had their names on them, it was fun to see what each player played with.  In the first period one of their players broke a stick... (see it on the left there)  I eyed that stick all game, wondering who I needed to be sweet to in order to make it mine.  At the end of the game one of the team guys gave it to me, along with a practice puck, but I couldn't bring it home because behind me sat a little 6 year old die hard Flames fan.  He had on his little Jersey, and his mom said that they are from PA, and their home is full of Flyers fans, but this little guy has proclaimed himself a Flames Fan, and has his whole room decorated in Flames Decor.  It will make a nice addition to his room, even though my husband has not forgiven me for giving it away.  :-) 

And as gross as it may be, one of my favorite parts of the night was during the 3rd period,  when Brent and I could actually SMELL their hockey gear.  For those that don't know, hockey gear has a very distinct smell, we actually used to own a hockey gear drying rack, back in the days when Brent still played, and his gear would get put out on the deck to dry.  You can't wash the pads, etc, so they just end up being pretty stinky.  It was so funny, to be sitting so close to them that we could smell them.  Now keep in mind that this picture was taken with Brent's I Phone so there is no Zoom going on... This is it.  This is just how close we were.  Oh, it was such fun.  A totally different experience that close up.  :-)   
Thank you thank you thank you to Christina once again for being the baby sitter that night, as it took place on a school night, so there were no sitters.  Brent was on a Hockey High for about 3 days after this one.  It was a blast!  Totally worth the $$ that is for sure!

7 comments:

Deb said...

how fun! i am not a huge hockey fan, but i've been to a game before and it was SO fun! loved it! i'm glad you got to go!

kristin said...

I'm soo glad Brent got to enjoy that game with you! How thoughtful...as I'm sure it's not your first choice for fun. not bad pics for a camera phone!

Anonymous said...

I'm sooo happy for you. That sounds like a lot of fun. You are totally a sweetie for giving that young boy your souveniers. That's so great you were able to smell them! What more could you ask for? (Have fun on your trip)

tracey said...

That is very cool that you got such awsome tickets! That would be very exciting to be that close. I don't know that I would need to smell them though, yuck! How can any other hockey experience ever compare.
p.s. I love your RS video! That is such a great idea! I am going to steal it. You will have to tell me how you made so many scarves though. You must have started ahead of time.

Cami said...

I'm so glad you got to get out by yourselves!! Hooray for nice friends and fun outings!

Jann said...

What fun. I am glad you got to go together. Very fun.

Jeri said...

YOU GAVE IT TO A SIX YEAR OLD!!! Just teasing, of course you did. =) What a fun night for the two of you.