For the past 3 months, I've been teaching a parenting class at the Church on thursday nights. I had the pleasure of working with Rozanne Bass through this time as well, some nights we each taught, and some nights it was just me, or just Rozanne. The class was based upon a program called "Let Fix The Kids" by James Jones. I have always enjoyed this program, since the first time it was introduced to me when we lived in Toledo, by the Short family. While I lived in Toledo I noticed something special and different about the Short's children. They were partially home schooled, but it was more then that. Before I moved, I took Sister Short out for breakfast to pick her brain about parenting. She kindly lent me her tapes of this program. As luck would have it, Brent and I were headed to MD to look for a house, and we had a tape player in the Van. We listened to them the whole way there and home. I loved the ideas and principles that the program teaches. Anyone who knows me very well, knows that I am fascinated with parenting theories, this guy takes the cake. In my opinion he has taken books like "Christlike parenting" and put the instructions into action. I always agreed with those books but wanted specific instructions. I am so grateful for the opportunity to teach this class because I was able to really feast on this program, and then teach it. AND I got to build up my very own support system, other parents that i can go to and bounce ideas off of. It was awesome. Unfortunately the class was rather poorly attended. But the family that attended the whole program loved it SO very much! A few others popped in and out, and together we've learned a lot. There have been requests for a daytime class... so there is talk about doing that in the fall, since i kept all my notes. At the last class, I was spoiled rotten by Laura and given a lovely head massage... wow, it was a good one! Lucky for me... Michelle took a picture...
It was a very great experience, I am glad that I got the chance to teach the class.
4 comments:
What a perfect class for you to teach! One day you'll write your own book!
I wanted to attend, but guess it's a little late since my youngest is 27! I've enjoyed reading Laura's blog about what she's learned.
Great! I think it's always best to get every idea you can and make it work for your family.
you did such a fabulous job, we will forever be grateful! great pic of the scalp massage, lol!
Post a Comment