Friday, May 22, 2009

Alex is 8!!!!

I Can't believe that my little 4 1/2 lb baby is 8!!!  WOW!  It seems like it was just yesterday when I suddenly went into labor 6 1/2 weeks early.  
Here he is on day 2.  Off the ventilator, but still supposed to be in an incubator.   I thought he was the cutest baby in the whole NICU!  Never has there been such a beautiful premie.   He fought his way out of there in what seemed like forever, but was really only a couple weeks.  And although he is the skinniest 8 year old known to man, he has thrived well.  

This is one of my favorite pictures of my little man.  Really hanging upside down from a trampoline is not and was not in his nature at this time, but he was so dang cute.  And now.... He is 8!  And such a fun kid.  He loves Star Wars, Leggo, magic, scooby doo, and anything video games.  Alex is a very determined boy and gets very frustrated when he can't do something, usually he is frustrated with himself.  He can accomplish a lot because of this determination, and it is very fun to watch him do it.  He really wanted a Nintendo DSi for his birthday.  We Told him that it's too expensive for one person to give him, so for the second year, he requested Cash gifts from all the grandparents.  He pooled his cash together and with a little birthday help from Mom and dad, he got his DSi.  I kind of felt bad for him on his birthday cuz he didn't have the traditional birthday experience.... he didn't open a bunch of gifts, he didn't have a big 'friend party', but he sure seemed happy with his new toy.  His sisters bought him a game, as did his best pal Wyatt. 
For his birthday, Alex and his dad went to a hockey game about 2 months ago in Pittsburgh.  They had a fabulous time!!  Brent surprised Alex at school, picked him up early, and told him what was going on!!! Oh they had a ball, and Alex felt so special.  He however did not like the fact that he and his Dad seemed to be the only people in the whole stadium who were cheering for the Flames!  They drove home that same night, so they were out really late, but had a ball.  So the deal was that if he went to the game, there was not going to be a "Friends" party.  Something about Alex, he doesn't have a whole lot of close friends, he just isn't as much of a social butterfly as my girls are.  In the past we've thrown birthday parties where invites have gone out to 8 kids, and only 2 show, so this year, we saved him the trouble of having only one show, cuz his other pal (Micah moved to Germany).  So at the last week, I told him that I would take he and Wyatt Bowling and then have Wyatt over for Pizza and games.  All was going as planned.  Pizza was ordered, pick up at 5pm.. Ice cream cake was in the freezer, candles bought, balloons etc...
Then while at the bowling ally, we got THE CALL, THE CALL that has come 30 plus times...  "We have an agent who would like to show your home from 5:30 -6:30"  PANIC.  Here I am, 2 boys bowling, shoes on, game paid for, and a showing in 45 minutes.  I call Brent, and he gets on the Ball, then I call Jeri.  "What am I going to do??? I am picking pizza up at 5...  Can we bring it over to your house?"  And so, the party moved to the Tidwells.  We all loaded up, Pizzas, Balloons, Icecream Cake, the whole 9 yards.  (event the dog, since he can't be in the house when we show it.)  Oh yes... but I forgot the plates, the forks, the candles the cups, the drinks.  But Jeri stepped up the the plate, and saved the party.  Star Wars Plates, forks and cups.  She even had some blue candles.  (YOU ROCK JERI!!!)
We had a great time.  We couldn't have waited till after the showing because Brent had to leave for work before 6pm, so it had to be done when planned.  Even the Cake, so that dad could be there.
The baby in the back ground is Jeri's baby, so those of you far away, don't worry, you didn't miss anything.  :-) He spent the evening with Wyatt, a sleepover where they were aloud to play DS till they couldn't see straight.  They even had to find plugs that were near each other cuz their batteries wore out.  It was funny.  They were some happy boys.
A little over a week later on May 16th Alex was Baptized and became a member of  The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints.  He wrote and gave a talk on Baptism that was very touching.  I know that even at his young age, this boy has a testimony.  It is so wonderful to listen to your child speak of the Savior with such love. 
Here he is with his Dad.  He is so happy that his dad has the Restored Priesthood of Jesus Christ and has the authority and is worthy to baptize him.  In our church we are baptized by immersion.  So can you imagine what I thought when the councilor in the Bishopric called me and told me that the hot water heater was broken, and my boy was going to have a nice cool baptism.  But when I told Alex..... he surprised me, he said "That's okay mom, because I will be so warm inside it won't matter."  Ah, that's my boy.
He has so much faith, it's unstoppable.  Alex has prayed for confirmation of things and has been blessed with some very telling dreams.  I am so glad that Heavenly Father hears and listens to the prayers of even the smallest child.  So the Baptism went well.  Alex spoke on Baptism, followed by his baptism.  Which he confirmed that the water was certainly cold, but he also assured me that he was indeed so warm inside that it didn't bother him.   The rest of the guests watched a movie about Joseph Smiths First Vision  while Alex got changed into his NEW suit.  (of which, I somehow ended up w/o a picture of it)
When he returned I spoke on the gift of the Holy Ghost and then he received the Holy Ghost thru a blessing done by his Father.  Bishop Eric Nuss, Brother Ammon Brown, and Lincoln Tidwell, all joined in the circle for this blessing.  The spirt was so strong, there was no denying it's presence... I wish that everyone we know could have been there.  Liza said the closing prayer (which she was SO excited to do).  The whole thing was awesome.  We had a yummy Costco cake to share with everyone and then Alex got to pick a place to go and eat for dinner.  So after eating ice cream cake for breakfast (grandma got up with the kids), and then eating a little Mac & Cheese (upon my insistence) followed by 2 doughnuts (grandma).  Then the cake at the baptism cake, and the boy picks I-HOP.  RU kidding me!?!  More sugar??  So off we went.  We took his "baptism gifts" with us.   His expressions as he opened these gifts were priceless.  I am so glad that I had my camera out!!  
This one is my favorite!  This is SO perfect, I almost cried when I saw it.  This is his very own set of Scriptures. ( A King James Bible, A Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants and Pearl Of  Great Price, all in one book.)  He was SO excited, as you can see.  His very own, very special book.  He LOVES reading together from the scriptures, he often is grateful in his prayers that we read together that day.  
Here he is opening a few other gifts at I HOP.  It was such a fun day!
See what I mean by his facial expressions.  :-)  What a fun kid
Alex, I am so proud of you and your decision that you made to be Baptized.  You have so much faith and you KNOW that your Heavenly Father loves you and you love him.  You love the Savior and you want to be like him.  You love to do nice things for your sisters and want so much to grow up to be like your dad.  You're tender spirit is a joy to have in our home.  I love you my boy!

8 comments:

Sheila said...

Hi, don't know if you remember me very well. I was in your mom's ward in Sundance. I came across you through someones blog and was excited to catch up on your family. When I read about your son's baptism it made me think about last november when my PREEMIE baby (crazy how we both had preemies in that year) was baptised. I tried to figure out how to link it on here. I have no idea. So if you have a minute go to my blog archive and click on 2008. it is the first blog you will see. Anyway. Glad to find you and I'm enjoying your blog. Hope that is okay with you.

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Congrats Alex! We sure miss you. Micah's birthday party was today and we wish you could have been here for it. It was a small one too (only two friends came). I love the pictures. You look like a boy who has received the Holy Ghost and is already feeling it.

Jann said...

What a wonderful post. It is very sweet. These moments make all the other tough time seem small and insignificant. I loved baptism time with my children. It was a special time, and one I will always remember.

Kevin said...

Happy Birthday and congratulations Alex.

The hanging photo is awesome. Pretty good composition too.

Jeri said...

Wonderful post! I loved having you over for your son's party! We were lucky to be in on the fun.

Alex I hope you had a super Happy Birthday. It has been so fun to see you grow so OLD. You have such a strong testimony. Never be afraid to share it. Your talk was wonderful, and you looked so sharp in your new suit! I will always remember how strongly I felt the spirit when your Dad brought you out of the water. (I didn't know the water was cold, you hid it well!) The look on your face was so peaceful and grateful. It was a great thing to witness, and helped to strengthen my testimony! Thanks for letting us be apart of your special day.

Tricia said...

So glad to hear that his days were both so special. I can still remember Greg's baptism a year ago and it brought a tear to my eye reading about Alex, why do they grow up so darn fast. chin up you are doing a great job Christie.

Tracy said...

Happy, happy birthday! It was a great baptism. So glad we got to be there.

Kellie said...

Man I'm so bummed I missed this, but what a beautiful day and post about it. Such a wonderful day.