Friday, August 29, 2008

Drumheller, Alberta

We took a trip to Drumheller this year.  Something we've not done in Years and Years.  Our trip began with a stop at Horseshoe Canyon.  Isn't it in interesting sight?  
Those little specs down there are my kids and their Grandpa.  They went hiking around the canyon.  I stayed up and took pictures because I wore sandals :-( , and it was a pretty steep walk down to where they were.  
Here is Alex coming up the canyon, what a fun time.  There was a little gift shop in a trailer on the property, a lovely woman in the gift shop named each of the rocks that my nephew brought up from the canyon.  It was a neat place.
We then headed to the fabulous  Royal Tyrrell dinosaur museum.  There were so many cool dinosaur things in there.  It actually made me feel like there was a part of the world that I was really missing.  As I walked around and read the signs I was overwhelmed with how much information is out there about dinosaurs.  I've never had a kid that was all about Dinosaurs so I don't know more then a few names.  
At the museum they even had a window where you could watch them work on actual bones.  It was so cool.
This is the Worlds Largest Dinosaur.  He stands 86 feet tall, and you can climb up the stairs inside and stand inside his mouth for a "scenic view" of Drumheller.  :-)  It was quite a haul up those stairs, which actually made me realize that I need to get to the gym a bit more often.  It was a cool experience, but I would have to declare it a bit over priced.  (yes, we were charged to climb the stairs inside this beast. $3.00/person.... I though $1 would have been more reasonable for what it was).  But here's the pic, none the less.
And of course all the kids in the mouth.  Missing Ethan, but I guess he was done by the time I got my exposure figured out.  :-)
Here they are climbing on the toe. It was a fun little stop.  
We were then off to the suspension bridge.  When I was a little girl we took a trip up to Drumheller.  If I remember correctly we went to visit a missionary who served in our area "Benji".  He told us tales of a haunted apartment, and broken guitars.  I was pretty creeped out.
That night I had a nightmare, but it wasn't about the haunted house, ore the broken guitars, it was about this bridge.  I have had very few "bad dreams" in my life, and my bad dreams are rarely about ghosts and goolie things, usually my bad dreams are about people.  In my dream my dad was swinging me by my feet over the side of this swinging bridge, and when he flipped me back up onto the bridge, the bridge flung the other direction and tossed him over the edge.  I watched him fall for what seemed like forever.  I'll never forget that dream, and every time I see this bridge it is totally clear.  Funny how stuff sticks with you.
We then went to the Hoodoo's,  Mostly to take pictures :-)  These Sandstone columns are naturally carved by the wind.  Kind of cool lookin' eh?
Tori had to strike a pose on the Hoodoo's.  You're aloud to walk around the area, they just ask that you don't actually climb up upon a Hoodoo.  Don't you just love the name Hoodoo?  LOL
We had a long full day.  As we drove home we were tortured by a beautiful sun set.  Yes, I said tortured because it was the most stunning sunset, all set upon the beautiful rolling fields, and Kevin and I didn't have a tripod between us!  It was horrible.  I took mental photos, but I can't show you those!  Oh well, know that it was gorgeous and perfectly colorful!

8 comments:

Cami said...

Wow, when I started reading this, I had to remember whose post I was reading, because this looked a lot like Utah! Crazy. It looks great (and that bridge does look scary!)

Mendy said...

Those are some amazing views, Christie! How fun for your kids to do all these fun things with their cousins!

Tracy said...

Love Tori's pose. What a model! That place looks amazing, but I agree with you -- $3 to climb stairs? They should pay you for actually making it to the top.

Jann said...

You did so many fun things this summer. I love all the pictures you took. Good job.

Corinne said...

The hills and canyons are fantastic!! I've love to explore around there with my kids :)

Jeri said...

Great pictures. Drumheller is so cool, almost unreal. I love the picture of Tori on the hoodoo.

What happened to you niece's eye? I am assuming that happened after the tutu pictures, because that would have been really hard to photoshop.

kristin said...

how pretty is that? weird..but pretty.

Deb said...

that place is amazing. fun photos!