Saturday, June 7, 2008

Strawberry Jam 'n Strawberry Waffles

So this is what 11 1/2 lbs of strawberries looks like.  I honestly didn't think that I had that much.  We ate every last one of them though.  Yumm.
The Jam Process.
I got to use my "Balmix", which I don't use very often.   It smashed up these strawberries like a dream.  The juice/ puree was so pretty, the color of it was just mouth watering.
The kids helped with the smashing of the strawberries, everyone had a go with the cool blending tool.  
We measured the pureed strawberries into a bowl, and discovered that there is way more sugar in Freezer jam then I thought.  No wonder it is so lovely.  :-)  I would say that the measuring out of sugar into the puree was the only down side to making our own jam.  I would have rather gone through life not knowing how  much sugar I was eating.
Then came the mixing.  If you look closely you can see that the "stirer" got a little too excited and slopped jam all over the stove, down the side of the bowl, all over her shirt, and the chair upon which she stood.  The pouty look on her face is in reaction of a reminder to "please be more careful Tori, that was a lot of jam that just got waisted."  She did do a fabulous job helping me though.
They looked so pretty all poured in and ready to go.  

WAFFLES!!!

All the kids pitched in to help wash an "hull" the strawberries.  One picked them out of the box, one washed the berry, one hulled the berry and then I sliced.  We cut up a lot of berries.  It was very fun to see them all working together and taking turns with the little hulling tool that i bought for $1 at the strawberry patch.  :-)
Waffle Eaters
Enjoying the "fruits" of their labors. (ha, corny)
 Don't they all just look like they've never had such a yummy dinner?
Alex had to set up his plate for the picture.  All the other kids were yelling, "mom, take a picture of me!"  Alex was saying, "wait mom, let me get it set up first."   So his personality to need it just so, for the picture.  :-)
No talking with your mouth full, but what about smiling with great excitement about the bounty before you?
Even Katie stomached a few more strawberries for dinner.  
(we won't even talk about this poor girls diapers for the next 3 days, will we?)
Isn't it funny how even the little ones get into the excitement of the bigger kids.  It was truly a very fun day.  Full of Strawberries!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, i'm hungry for strawberry waffles! Your pics look so tempting!

Jeri said...

Beautiful picture to go with a super fun post! =)

tracey said...

Mmmm! Looks yummy. What a great day. I'm sure my jar will arrive in the mailbox any day now :D

Kellie said...

Oh, delish!

Cami said...

Every single one of those items looks seriously delicious!

Anonymous said...

You are wonder mom. I can't believe all you do. I wish I had just a little of your energy and spunk. As always, your pictures are so cute.

tracey said...

Hey, isn't that a Christmas Tree shop christmas plate Katie is eating on?