Friday, June 6, 2008

Full Of Gratitude.

Today I got to witness something that I consider a treat.  To some it may have gone unnoticed, but to me, it caused a domino effect of gratitude.  After spending the morning with my girlfriends little ones, she picked up her kids and took one of mine with her.  I was left with just one child, who was sleeping.  As I came into the kitchen I caught sight of a beautiful Blue Jay in my tree, as I paused to watch it for a moment, in flew a baby, so wobbly and awkward.   The baby perched himself on the neighbors trampoline fence and the mother peeped at him.  Then, much to my surprise (as I've heard that bluejays  babies are not friendly to one and other, and rarely have more then one baby survive)  Another baby awkwardly flew up and perched right beside him.  In awe of this picture of a momma bird teaching her babies how to fly, I contemplated getting my camera, but refrained for fear of scaring them away with the sliding door sound.  I am glad that I did, because then in flew papa, graceful and careful, chattering along with the Momma.  The babies peeped and were awarded for their efforts with a little treat, and I was awarded with an image that I hope I never forget, 4 blue jays all with in 3 feet of each other.  A little family.  What a blessing.  And what a blessing I have in my family, how wonderful my life is, to have these 4 healthy children to raise up and teach them about their Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  

I have been listening to this parenting Seminar that I recently purchased, and have been thinking a lot about my children and how we run things around our home.  I have spent some time in thoughts about their individual personalities and needs.  I have come to realize that there is not one cookie cutter way to raise children, and this seminar talks about the color code and love languages and adjusting your "style" and color and love language to each child's needs.  I have realized that my Liza is mostly yellow, that would be the  opposite of me who is mostly red.  Appreciating my children for who they are and realizing that I can not, nor should not change them has really made me happy today.  
I also had moments today where I was so grateful to have my sweet husband on this continent.  Although he works crazy hours and is stressed out beyond belief, he is here, and sometimes he has a day off to spend with us.  He is not in Iraq staring death in the face, and witnessing the horrific events that take place there daily.  He is here, he is safe, and at night, although only for a few short hours, I can curl up next to him and know that all is well.  I am also very grateful that when the day does come that Brent is called up to go and serve his country, that I will have just a touch of peace in my heart knowing that we are sealed in the temple, and that no matter what happens while we are apart, we will be together forever!  And the knowledge that my children will be ours forever too.  What comfort that thought brings to me.  
I am grateful for the gospel and the light that it brings into my children, for the security that it brings them, and for the anchor that it provides us all in this world of turmoil.  To have a plan in place for my children.  To have leaders at church who back me up on the principles that I am teaching my kids.  And to have examples in the youth that are older then my children, who can show them that leading a pure and clean life, walking in the ways of the Lord can lead to great happiness, and you can still have fun, and even be cool.  :-)   I feel like I am not battling the world for my children's sake alone.  I feel a part of an army of people who care for the welfare of children, and all children.  What a blessing it is to have such resources at my fingertips.
I am also grateful at this time for the knowledge that I have of the after life, and the comfort that comes to me in knowing that the Lord's hand is in my life, and that even though people pass away, they are still here, that they are permitted to watch over and keep us.  I feel that Shirley (Brent's mom) is around us often, and I am grateful that I am blessed with this testimony and can therefor feel her presence near.  
Oh, my heart is so full, I am so incredibly grateful.  Grateful to our Heavenly Father for his Tender Mercies, and the sacrifice of His Son.  Grateful for Jesus Christ, and all that he sacrificed for me, so that I could return to The Father.  I am grateful to Joseph Smith and his hand in the Restoration of the Lords Church.  I am grateful for all Latter Day Prophets, and their council and guidance of the church today.  I am grateful for the Book of Mormon and the Bible, and the direction that they provide us.  I am grateful to every primary teacher, nursery leader, primary chorister, and primary presidency member that is involved in my children's lives, they are watching you, and I appreciate your example to them.   I know that my Heavenly Father loves me, that he loves my children and that he has entrusted them to me, to raise them well and help guide them Home.  For THAT.........  I am GRATEFUL!!!!

4 comments:

Scarlett said...

wow my dear, you really touched me w/this post tonight. I have not read nor posted in such a long time and tonight I was really looking for something and I found it! I'm glad it was your post that I read first because as I am about to hit the pillow my heart is full of gratitude for your words and my eyes filled with tears from the emotion that your testimony brought me tonight. Thank you for that wonderful reminder of how blessed we all are and how little thought sometimes we give to the small insignificant things that make our lives Heaven on earth. <3

Jeri said...

What a treat! You are such an inspiring friend! I am so glad I am lucky enough to have you in my life. Your testimony really touched my heart. I have been doing the "grateful daily" group on flickr, and it is amazing how much we take for granted. Thank you for sharing your moment of gratitude.

Corinne said...

Christie - that is a seriously beautiful post. You inspired me :)

Kellie said...

Thank you for sharing this sweet, honest post. What a lovely woman you are.