


Ode to My 5th Child
Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth
Hang out the washing, make up the bed
Sew on a button and butter the bread
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking
Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye, too.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye, too.
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing "Kanga" and this is my "Roo"
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye, too.
The cleaning and scrubbing can wait til tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cabinets! Dust go to sleep!!
I'm nursing my baby, and babies don't keep.
- Ruth Hulbert Hamilton
Thursday, March 22, 2007
I love this poem...
Posted by Christie at 11:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
5th child! Are you telling us something???
I loved the poem.
That is one of my favorite poems - though I'm not sure I've ever read the whole thing before so thanks! My sister has a cross-stitch of that last part in her house. Love the pics.
Yes, 5th?? Also, I like this poem too. Every now and then I get the urge to leave everything behind and REALLY connect with my kids. When I really let go, I end up having fun too, instead of thinking, oh, I'd better play with them for a while. They're only little for a short time.
Well I saw your mom this past summer when we were up in Calgary for hte day and the bottom picture of you looks so much like her. I wished I could have visited with her, but I was up with a friend and her kids so I didn't have the opportunity too. i loved the poem grated with my daycare I feel that Im the mother of nine and not just the four who are mine. It was just nice to take a quick break and read on your blog. It's nice to see whats going on in your life.
Love the poem. So much better for my husband to come home to a happy house than a clean house, right?
I've only ever seen the last staza before. I love that poem. Thanks for posting it! I also wondered at the "5th child" thing. IS this an announcement?
No announcement guys!! The poem was called "ode to my 5th child." i didn't call it that. AHHHH NO WAY!
Post a Comment