Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The House Cup

So in our house we have a point system where the kids work individualy to earn "house cup points". Like on Harry Potter. We have a gobblet which is decorated with jewels that is filled with treats and other misc. dollar store items each week. The kids get points for various activities around the house, and also points for staying in bed. Depending on each childs issues they are awarded points for behavior as well. Alex went through a period of everytime I told him "no" to something he would whine and "awwwwwww" and then argue. Well he began getting points for reacting with an "okey mom" when I said no to something. I had to chuckle when he was adding up the points one day and could see that he was tied with Liza. He came to me and randomly asked "Mom, Can we go to Chuckie Cheese." (he knew the answer) "No, Alex not today." "okey mom", he replied and skipped over to the point board, "now do I get a point?" LOL, I thought that was pretty cleaver.
This house cup system has been the best thing for our family. Right now the kids are into it because they want to earn "disney dollars" ($ to spend at Disney World next month) which are in the cup. It also helps me to be positive and reenforce their positive behaviors. We've been doing this for about 1 1/2 years and the kids are still into it. We have had a few weeks where we havn't done it. The winner also picks the sunday night movie, for movie night, and the Family Home Evening Treat. Anyway, I love it, it keeps us all in line. :-)

4 comments:

Jenni said...

I love your house cup Christie - such a great idea!! How fun that you guys are going to Disney!! I'm sure it will be a blast!!

Tricia said...

I love the idea, I think my kids would all love it. MY two middle ones love to have charts on their doors, I always lose track but they never forget to put stickers on it. And to think you give out prizes. Our house would never be the same, but I love the idea. A trip to Disney sounds nice right now too, we still have lots of snow, it is melting but very slowly. Have a great time, my kids all loves animal kingdom the best, you'll have to let us know how it goes......

Jeri said...

Yes, this is a great thing! We have been doing it for 5 weeks or so. My kids are so into it, and they don't freak out when the other person wins.

You are FULL of good ideas! =)

Mendy said...

This must take a lot of discipline from you, Christie! I always seem to run out of steam after a while on a system. Good for you!