Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Stampede DAY ONE!!

THOSE LITTLE DOUGHNUTS!!!!
For several years the kids and I have gone to the Stampede with out Brent because his work required him to be there in July. He could never take vacation during Stampede week. Well this year he finally got to return. Truly, he was returning for the DOUGHNUTS!!
HIS GOAL.... to eat 100 of "those little doughnuts"!! This was bag one!
Of course the kids loved daddy's quest to eat 100 Doughnuts because they got to partake in a bag every time we bought doughnuts for daddy. I DON'T know anyone who doesn't love these little things. Now, some places try to copy these guys... by making those mini doughnut things, but they are NOT the same! It has to be "those little doughnuts"!! Somehow, they're better.
That there is a Happy Man!
Our first stop inside the gates of the grounds was the Doughnut shop. Next Stop:
RODEO!!!
I LOVE ME A GOOD RODEO!!!! Especially BULL RIDING!! YEEEE HAWW!!!

Liza decided after watching this Rodeo that she wants to Barrel Race. That doesn't surprise me... we just don't know how to get her into it with out buying a horse. I really don't want to own and board a horse. She has always loved the Stampede and actually has loved the Barrel Racing event since she was just little.
Alex enjoying his favorite part of any festivities... the treats!!! :-) He purchased a bag with his very own money! And he even shared a bit.
Although we had a good time.... it was COLD... boy was it COLD!!! It was pouring rain... sideways blowing actually... and we were frozen. The temperatures dropped to 50 degrees F. Brrrrrr. Wet, windy and cold. But we were still smiling. (well mostly)
See the rain slickers? I kept mine on because it kept the wind out. Notice Alex in the back of the girls in the pic below... see him blowing into his sleeves. BRRRRR.
Here's my studly hubby :-) I LOVE that he has embraced my home town and it's traditions. Brent also enjoys going to the Rodeo, walking the grounds, looking at the stuff in the exhibition hall, and most of all, going to the Flames Fan Attic store. :-)
The kids keeping busy while we waited for the rain to subside enough to continue with the Rodeo. A few horses were injured this day... and Tori was VERY upset by it. She absolutely loves horses and was so sad to see the "horse medics" rush into the rink to help the injured animals. She was very intent in watching what she could see, and then afterwards we noticed her crying softly to herself. :-( She is so tender.
After the Rodeo we went to ride some rides. It was still SOOOO cold tho that the kids had a hard time enjoying it. :0( It stunk that the weather was just bleck this day. (and yes Michelle, that is a zipper :-) and No, I didn't go on it w/o you!)

Katie loved a Merry Go Round. Thats her favorite
The kids and Brent waited in line for what seemed like an eternity to go on this little coaster.
Clearly Katie was not enjoying this one.
Just SOOOOOO cold....
Then the inevitable happened....... They got hungry! REAL HUNGRY! It was time for FOOT LONG CORN DOGS!! YUMMO!!! But wait......... see this man.... this one right here.....
I had to take a picture of him so that I could blog about how he raped me for Corn dogs!!! I felt so violated when he told me my Total was $47 and we didn't even order any drinks!!!!! 50 bucks for CORN DOGS!!! SERIOUSLY!!???!???!??
But we enjoyed them anyway, and only really got cheesed off when Alex thew about 3 inches into the trash!!! LOL! I guess you only go around once right? :-)

To warm up, we headed to some indoor exhibits.
They usually have some new farm animals to look at... baby chicks, and cows and pigs. SO fun
They have displays and activities for the kids about agriculture. It's really quite fun! And the kids love the free buttons, pencils etc.. that come with that kind of thing too.
I had to have a picture of the whole family playing in Canola seeds. Canola is one of our larger resources. You know, Canola oil...... this is the seed from which it comes...
They feel really cool because they are so tiny and smooth, you just can't help but touch the things.
Are you loving my girls western shirts? I thought they looked so cute!! :-)
We finished up the night at the chuck wagon races. One of our FAVORITE parts of Stampede!! They show the "Chucks" on TV every night and we watch and place "bets" on who is going to win the race. If I were any good at it, I would suggest we throw in some wagers, but I don't win often enough. :-)
If you've never seen a chuck wagon race, a wagon is hitched to 4 horses, there are 4 "outriders" that are on their own horses but on the team of a specific wagon. The out riders throw a camp stove and tent poles into the back of their wagon, and then mount their horses. The wagon takes off on a figure 8, and then around a race track. There are penalties for missing stoves, poles or crushed barrels from the figure 8. The outriders need to come in with the wagon. It's quite cool!! If you've never seen it, Google it... it's fun to watch.
After the races we watched "the grandstand show". A huge performance put on with dancers and singers and on this night, there were motorcycle stunt riders! SOOOOO incredibly cool. The Grandstand is finished off with fire works, which can be seen from the whole stampede grounds. It's lovely. There are wagon races, and grandstand show EVERY night of the stampede.
Keep in mind how far north we are.... these fireworks can't even think about starting till about 11:00 or later because thats how late it is before it gets dark. So this calls for a very late night and long day at the park. :-) WE LOVE STAMPEDE

1 comments:

Michelle said...

I wanna try those doughnuts just cause you made them sound so .... good and yummy!!
Barrel racing is so ... much fun and gets the adrenaline going. Oh, I've never done it, but my mom did, she loved it and would go on and on about it. Liza would really enjoy it.
Holy Chill Bumps, it looks like you guys froze! Still tho .... I wanna go to the Stampede it looks like so ... much fun!
Lol ... I saw the pictures before I read and I asked myself if that was the Zipper, then I noticed my name, lol. Very funny! So .... glad you were able to refrain from that ride to catch the excitement with me, lol. I'm going to be looking for that ride so we can go on it, it'll be so ... much fun!! Very good blogging!! I love reading about your vacation adventures. :)