Tuesday, May 4, 2010

3 hours in the ER and 3 stitches

Standing out on the front porch talking to Pamela, my neighbor, Liza comes whipping around the corner on he bike with one of 'the twins' in tow. "Mommy, Alex cut his eye open, and he is crying blood!" Now I know Liza, and her tendency to exaggerate things, so my reaction was actually quite calm. "Okay, is it so bad that he can't make it home?" "MOMMY!!!" "Alright, I'll find my shoes and come over to the park." I get to the park, and he is being cared for by the twin's mom. The boys had walkie talkies with them, and called their mom when it happened. He was doing fine, a little sad, but okay. He had jumped off the playground in a game of tag, and smacked his eye on a different piece of playground equipment on his way down. Pamela met up with us at the park and had a look (Pam is an ER nurse). She figured we should have it looked at, so after some organizing of the other kids here on the home front. Alex and I headed to the ER. Thank goodness Liza is old enough to watch the little ones. :-) Alex and I took our books and basically read the whole time we waited.
With the exception of the waiting time between when the Doc came in and told us what he was going to do, and when he actually came in and did it. The description made Alex very nervous, he mentioned that he had butterflies in his belly and that he was feeling really hot. The Doc was the greatest... once again, point for Gateway Hospital! They were wonderful with him, and He got 3 little books from the nurses there. Lucky boy. I don't know if they were giving one book per stitch or not, but he also got 3 stitches. Putting the numbing stuff in was the worst, and I'll tell you, I almost passed out when they put all the junk under his skin, and that wound opened up nice and wide so they could clean it out.
Phew.. makes me wooosy just telling you about it. The Doc said that glue wasn't a good option because if the location of the cut, he was worried that it wouldn't stay where he put it. so in went the stitches. Not even disposable stitches, again because of the movement in the area of the cut, he wanted the real stitches. So here they are... the white stuff is some cream that I put on it, cuz it was bugging him.
Well now, so far, in his nearly 9 years of life, he has both broken a bone, and gotten stitches... not too bad for a boy who's not so rough and tumble. :-) He was so brave and strong... didn't cry one tear at the ER, and boy did he want to! I was so proud of him, he was so scared and he shook like a leaf and his heart raced, and his chin quivered, but not one yelp and not one tear. That's my boy!

10 comments:

Drea said...

Oh, that breaks my heart! I'm not ready to go through anything like that. What a brave guy! I'm glad he's ok.

6L's said...

so what actually happened to the eye?

Jenn said...

Ouch! Poor boy!!

tracey said...

Glad he's OK. Tough to be tough some times. What a trooper!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Ouch! What a tough kid. I am glad that it took only one stitch. I am sure it will heal quick.

Tobie said...

Ouch! That's a tender spot!! Glad he's okay!

Kellie said...

I'm glad he's okay. Those er visits are never fun, but it's nice that you lucked out and had a good experience.

Barbara said...

Thats going to be a good black eye! What a trooper!

Jeri said...

Boo! So what does the scar look like now? It looks like it is in such a tender spot. So sorry Alex.

Cami said...

Oh my! That is serious. He will have a cool scar.