Tuesday, September 29, 2009

DAP

Developmentally

Appropriate
Practice

The term developmentally appropriate practice, or DAP for short, refers to a framework of principles and guidelines for practice that promotes young children's optimal learning and development.

What happened to this concept? Are we expecting just a little too much out of these kids. Think back to when you were 6, 8, 10 years old. What were you doing from day to day? Were you getting up at 6:45 am, and heading off to school by 7:30, where you stayed for the next 8 hours? During that school timedid you have PE only every other day? During that 8 hours did you have to eat your lunch in silence? During that 8 hours did you get a whole 1/2 hour break where you were free to play only the games that are permitted by the school? When you arrived home, at 4:30 pm did you shove in a snack and get straight back to your homework, cuz if you didn't you wouldn't be able to get it done in time to go to cub scouts by 7pm? Was dinner something that fit between homework assignments? Did you have to stay up till 8:30-9:00 just to find the time to take a shower?

What ever happened to childhood? Skipping, biking, playing with the neighborhood kids?
Has anyone else noticed the work load that we (as a society) are putting on the shoulders of these children? This has been bothering me for years, and has just recently come to a head. Alex is my high strung child, and is easily stressed out. Liza could care less if she gets all the stuff done or not. Tori, is a perfectionist and will do it over and over until you tell her that it is great. Liza has handled these unreasonable expectations rather well. She is able to skip off and forget her responsibilities, and lets bad grades roll off her back. (which is good and bad at the same time) Alex on the other hand is a stress case. He hates getting bad grades and feels that his grades are a reflection of who he is. (which is good in that he cares, and bad in that he is really getting down on himself)

Last Saturday, after a crushing week for Alex, we opted to give the kids the "day off". We took them out for breakfast, and then they were not required to do their Saturday jobs. They were free to spend the day playing around the house, and being kids. I think they all really needed it. As I try to teach my children responsibility to home and family, I am met with this crazy school schedule, and I feel sorry for them somedays cuz the minute the homework is done, there is a dishwasher to unload, a table to set, or laundry to put away.

Alex is having trouble at school. If you don't know my sweet boy, he is an introvert. He enjoys chess, yoyo, golf, and any such activities where he is not having to be around a whole lot of people. He likes to play with friends, but he likes to only play with one or two. He spends a lot of time in his own head, he always has, since he was very little. He thinks things through quite thoroughly, but he does this in his own time. He is almost always the last child to get in the car, the last child up to the table. He needs to complete his thought or activity before moving to the next. Not always, but often. So he has trouble at school, he is the last one to catch on that the class is lining up, he gazes off into space when the teacher is talking and can become so captivated with a paperclip that he has no idea what is going on around him. He is not trying to be bad, he really wants to do better, but he seems to be in his own realm. His teacher this year is NOT fond of his scatterbrained behavior and is punishing him by taking away that only 1/2 hour of not work time that he has. He has been in trouble for getting up to get a book, stepping out of line to sip from the water fountain, then the frosting was this week when he hit his breaking point during a game, and said "damn it" when he got "out". He got a principal write up and lost his recess for that one.

I could take it no longer... Brent and I went to visit with the principal. We felt that he was being a little picked on. The principal was wonderful, she agreed with us, and is going to work with us and Alex. She suggested getting the guidance councilor involved for Alex's feelings. (he has said "I'm going to kill myself" 3 times since school started, and refers to himself and dumb, and stupid) She wonders if he may have some Anxiety, which wouldn't surprise me.

We are feeling much better this week. So glad, and I hope this lasts. But I wish that the schools would back off a bit and let children be children. Not little adults. They have the rest of their lives to be that.


13 comments:

Jeri said...

Oh Alex. I am sorry he has had a hard time with all the changes. Good for you for visiting the Principal!

We miss Alex around here!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I wish we were there to get Micah and Alex together. They could play and work off some of that anxiety. I breaks my heart to think that Alex was labeled as a bad kid! He is not! He has a heart of gold. I am glad to hear that the principal is working with you guys. Good for you for going in. That kind-of think scares me to death. I agree....schools are crazy nowadays. Too much pressure.

Jenni said...

I'm sorry Alex is having a hard time! Good for you for going to the principal! I hope things get better for him!

Rozanne said...

During my college days in early childhood education, no teacher could say enough about developmentally appropriate practices. We read whole books on just that. By the time I graduated I was so sick of that phrase. :) But, it is a good concept and one I became completely converted to. Children need to be allowed to do what is appropriate for their age-level of learning. I'm so glad you made an appointment with the principal. We have done that same thing when situations get hard at school, and it really has helped. Glad you are feeling better about things.

Holly said...

I am so sorry that Alex is having a hard time! Whatever happened to those days you were refering to? Days of coming home from school and going out to play?! I didn't know they had to eat their lunch in silence, or that they only had P.E. every other day! That is SO sad!!!!

Tracy said...

The kids do have so much homework! It's crazy. Big hugs to Alex!

B.E.C.L Wall said...

I am so sorry your poor kiddos are going through this! It is hard enough to be a child in today's world without having those who should be supporting you adding to the troubles. We are thinking about you guys!

Jann said...

This is so frustrating. I feel your pain. It is disturbing that the school puts amazing amounts of stress on the kids, and when they can't handle it, they call it anxiety. Seriously? Could it just be the fact that the school is to blame. That they can't teach what needs to be taught in the time they have, so they add to the kids stress by piling on the homework. Can you tell, I am frustrated by this as well? I hope the school will work with you to help Alex not feel this way.

Dawn said...

I felt like that as well. When we got back from America we decided not to put the kids in for everything after schhol so they would have time to play and chill and do homework. As it is now they come home from school and play till about 6pm either inside or out then we have dinner and then they do their homework and chores. If the homework doesn;t get done i send a letter in and explain they just didn't have time. But i refuse to take their playtime off them. This however doesn't work so well with the older girls because they have a ridiculous amount of homework. But they have time set aside for computer time to chat with friends

6L's said...

hey, it's laura richards...just found you off beverly's blog. :) i agree..my boys are only in kinergarten and it just seems too much! they area always saying...we aren't allowed to do that, we can't talk, we have to raise our hand to go to the bathroom (that's in their classroom and my poor son peed his pants b/c his teacher never acknowledged him!)..it's really frustrating to hear. :( i hope things get better for alex.

Corinne said...

It's SO HARD. I'm on the verge of pulling Xavey out and homeschooling b/c I think his class is such a waste of time. I've made an appointment with the teacher, though, and then I'll go to the principal too. Makes me feel braver to know you did it :)

kristin said...

we need to talk! Brooks and Alex are SOOO alike! We have Brooks in private school, which helps...but he doesn't really have many friends here yet. Being a kid is TOUGH!

Jodilyn said...

Wow Christie, you put into words exactly how I've been feeling lately! I totally understand what you are going through. Jessica has been having a very difficult time focusing this year too. I hope things with Alex will continue to improve. Let me know what works for him, I'm looking for any suggestions for Jess :-)