Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Spring Break

So, since Brent is working thru Spring Break, and we're trying not to spend $$, I've been trying to keep the kids busy in less expensive ways.  And considering that I am entertaining 4 kids whilst trying to keep my house clean and ready to show at any time.  I think I am doing a bang up job.  Monday,  I taught at the gym, so the kids got to have a gym and swim.

No, this little guy wasn't at the gym, but I thought it was a good place to stick his picture... (:he is from the National Zoo in DC.  Anyway, back to monday.  The kids had a blast at the pool with their pals.  Then we came home and had lunch and hung out here at home waiting for dad to get off work.  Well, then we had a showing, and frantically evacuated the house.  Then dinner and Bed.  On Tuesday we took an easy morning, then met up with the Tidwells @ Chuck E Cheese, where Jeri had an AWESOME Coupon and the kids had a blast eating and playing for hours all for $23!  Then Today was the Zoo in DC.  Now the Zoo admission is free, but we did have to park at the Metro, and pay to take the kids on the Metro, but what fun!
Here is Alex in some animal skull.  He really thought this was Cool.  On Tuesday night, Alex said in his prayer, "We thank thee that we get to go on the Metro tomorrow."  That's right, not that we get to go to the zoo, but that we get to take the cool train there.  That is why I don't drive, the ride on the train is 1/2 the fun!
This Lovely Tiger was VERY HUNGRY!  It kept going down to the door and scratching at it, and looking through the windows!  And Growling.  :-)  Too Cool.  The animals were quite active today, since the temperatures were lower, they were pretty spry, even the panda was moving around a lot.  (Which I've never seen)
My sweet Katie... Oh poor baby.. you know, Liza was at the zoo, 2-3 times a month when she was katies age.  Katie was absolutely enthralled with this day!  She loved seeing EVERY animal with the Monkeys and the Elephants seeming to be favorites.  She was so happy all day.. well except near the end.  I was sure glad I brought a stroller though.
Tori and her pal Natalia.  Oh the horror when these two are separated in July.  They LOVE LOVE LOVE to be together.  Two peas in a pod!  Look they even have the same cheesy pose, and they work it together...  I'm tellin' you, these girls......  Oh it makes me want to cry just thinking about it.  They had a fabulous time running about the zoo, but only made it to the train station by way of Jelly Bean Bribes.... they were pretty tuckered out.
They fed the Elephants while we were watching, it was amazing to see them take a big huge stalk of Bamboo, and break it up with their trunks and feet.  And the way they just shove it in there, you would think it would cut their mouths!  It was fun to watch, as feeding times always are.
Here is Liza and her cute friend Lindsay.  I was glad that we took a pal for Liza this time.  Lindsay has been a great friend to liza, and I am sure that they will miss each other too.  I love how the Elephant posed for this one.   What a treat.
And Alex and Wyatt.  Oh these boys.  They have a Love/ Hate relationship.  Really they were just fine till all the moving business started... now I think they are making sure that they don't miss each other too much, but fighting a little more often.  That's okay.  I think that is how boys work anyway... see when a girl fights with her friend, it is big and takes quite some time to get over.... but boys, they can punch each other in the face one minute and be playing robots the next... figure that!  They too are peas in a pod.  They are both crazy for Star wars, and X Box.  They both love to pretend crazy fighting adventures, and they are both emotional and sensitive.  Funny guys I tell ya.  Alex will miss Wyatt SOOO much.  :-(
Tori and Katie on a Sloth Bear.  This is what my girls look like for reals... no primping this time.  A little ragamuffin ish....But I think they are cute as a button anyway.  
The otters are some of my favorites, and this pair have a FANTASTIC exhibit at the National Zoo.  Lucky critters.  They were so playful today.  What fun to watch.  I think that they are SO cute!
Katie and Tori Hugging the only Otters they are going to hug.  :-)  A good time was had by all.  Alex told me on the train that if I sat down and shook my feet that it helps them from hurting.  :-)  I think we wore him out.  We came home at 5:50 and there was a message telling me that I had a showing scheduled for 6:30- 8:00.  Brent wasn't home from work yet and I was supposed to be at the gym to teach by 7:15!  Now I not only have 4 kids, I also have a dog, who shouldn't be left in the car for 2 hours while i am at the gym..... What to do?  So I have to feed them right?  So we go through Taco Bell drive thru...  Park after I get food, and start dealing it out.  Poor Chinook is back in his crate after a whole day in there.  He is whining, Tori is insisting that he is thirsty, which I am sure he was.  I open the crate to fill his drink, and he BOLTS over my arm and out of the Van.  Oh GEEZE!  Anyone who knows us very well, knows that Chinook will NOT come if he feels the wind in his hair.  Oh brother!  After 10 minutes and threatening to drive away w/0 him, he finally came to me after being lured with a piece of taco!  Little BRAT!   Then it was off to the gym again.  Met Brent, he took the dog, I took the kids (they wanted to got to the kids place)  and taught my class.  PHEWF  What a day.  I think I am going to go and lay on the sofa. :-)

9 comments:

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I can't imagine keeping a house ready to show during spring break. You did a great job. Don't you hate the unpredictable schedule of residency? Actually that part is not much different for us. Sometimes I wish Greg worked at a computer and worked from 9 to 5, rather than from 6 to whenever.

Jenni said...

Wow, you're keeping busy! Sounded like such a fun zoo trip! I love that pic of Tori and Natalia - they were working it!:)And I can't believe your dog ran off at the Taco Bell!! Glad you were able to lure him back!!

Tricia said...

I think your doing an amazing job. We sat at home all spring break and the kids watched me pack all their beloved anything. I wish we had a zoo like that here, I guess we'll be making trips up to Calgary all the time!!!!

Jeri said...

What a wonderful post! I should just copy and past it into my blog! =) Wow...I got a little teary eye reading this. Great pictures too!

Did you hear Liza telling Lindsay about us? "That is Natalia, Wyatt, and little baby Simone. We do stuff with their family ALL THE TIME. Basically, they are like my family."

Lincoln has been in Kentucky so much this month...maybe they need him there? =) LOL!

Jeri said...

Oh, the skull is from a T-Rex! =)

couplabz said...

That sounds like a great day. I remember taking Dayle to the zoo in Des Moines quite often. I love your dogs name, very original. I like original animal names, and it doesn't surprise me that y'all are like that. Good luck with the showings (hopefully lots) this weekend!

Barbara said...

What a day:) Love the zoo picures:)
Doesn't chinook know his life is at stake? Yet, he just keeps trying it out!! I bet it was pretty silly to see you out there with that taco:) hehe:)

Corinne said...

What a wonderful mommy! You had a great spring break, well done :) Your zoo trip sounds like a blast, I love to metro in, too :)

Kellie said...

Awesome post! It completely captured the whirlwind feelings of the days. I love that you pointed out your girls' natural look. It makes me feel better that they don't always look as perfect as they do in so many of your gorgeous photos.:o)