There are a lot of things that I love about Tennessee. Of all the places we've lived, I've never fell in love with a place as quickly as I fell for Tennessee. So what is it that is so great about Tennessee? Well, mostly, the people. I'm not talking about the folks I know, cuz I've gotten to know awesome people everywhere that we have lived. I'm talking about the stranger in the grocery store, the lady at Sonic, those kind of people. I've never met such a lovely hospitable people, ever. In discussing it with Brent, we've wondered if it has something to do with religion. There are many different religions here, as there are in other parts of the country, but here in Tennessee, these folks are a God fearing, God loving kind of people. God is spoken of amongst strangers in such a casual way, as tho, naturally, we all believe in Him. I am told on a VERY regular day to "have a blessed day." Nope, not just at Christmas time are they talking of God and Jesus Christ, on a daily basis people are expressing their belief in God by wishing others a "blessed day". I think that if you believe in God and Jesus Christ you act differently. You are generally more courteous and kind. Driving here is sometimes downright crazy because everyone is being so courteous to the other drivers. I've nearly rear ended many a folk, who stop, in the middle of a major 4 lane road to "let in" someone who is pulling out of a parking lot off the side. They just want to be kind and help each other out. Which leads me to my story of today,
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Something 'bout that drawl
After being wished "a blessed day" by my grocery bagger, I headed for home. I decided to stop at Sams club and buy the shelf for the storage room that I had wanted, but resisted the day before. I figured, I knew what I wanted, I just needed to run in and grab it. Tho my van was full of groceries, I figured that the shelf (unassembled in a box) would surly fit in my front seat. The box was heavy, but I got it off the top of the stack and into my cart, and eventually out to my car. As I struggled to get the cart to stand still an older gentleman pulled up along side me. He asked me if I needed some help. I accepted his helping hand, which was quickly assisted by yet another gentleman. The two of them quickly determined that this shelf box was NOT going to fit in my van. The first asked me where I lived. I told him a general area. He said "oh, I live pretty close to there, all I need to do is go pick up a cake and then I can bring your shelf to you in my pick up." (now keep in mind, he's offerin' me this in his sweet southern drawl.) The man had to be over 65. I told him that he looked like a trust worthy man. He showed me his drivers license, told me his name, pointed out his address and put my very heavy shelf in the back of his pick up. Now anywhere else.... I don't think I'd have gone for this idea. I would have been skeptical of this kind offer. But there is just something about that drawl that makes me trust him. Something about that sweet gentle manly voice that makes me sure that he's just a good ol' boy. And so, I gave him my name, my address, and my phone number ( I know crazy... really... quite crazy in a skeptical world) I got home, and just prayed that the kind man at Sam's didn't need a new Utility shelf. I got all my groceries into the house, and was just closing up the van when his pick up pulled into my drive. He carried that heavy box (yet again) into my house and set it down in the dining room. Offered to lay it on the floor, and when I said, "no, there is fine", he reminded me to mind the little one around the heavy box. I offered him a few dollars for his time and gas, to which he replied "No, ma'am, happy to help. My wifes' a little lady, I just hope that someone would do this for her." I told him again "Thank you SO much!" and he assured me, "it was no trouble Ma'am." And headed on his way.
For him a relatively small act, that took some time out of his day, for me... who knows the trouble he saved me. How on earth would I have gotten that thing home? What a blessing.
Posted by Christie at 8:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Glad that us Southerners are making you comfortable with your move. We love and are so happy that your family has moved her. My friends who move from the North always ask why we pull over and stop for a funeral procession. They haven't ever seen that where they are from.
Amazing! What a sweet guy!
i love hearing these stories b/c i think i am just so used to it i forget. i was reminded of this the other day at chuck e cheese. one of my kids won a bonus 100 tickets on some game. i wasn't with him but he came to me all excited about it. awhile later a man came to us with an armful of tickets saying that my son won the bonus but the machine ran out and when the worker restarted it they kept coming. neither of us would have ever known but it really made me smile to think he looked for us and hadn't kept them for his own child. :)
I think you are right Laura. We sometimes don't notice it as much when we have had it for so long. These stories do help to know that in this crazy world there are still some good people out there that you can trust to help you out.
Christie, I have felt the exact same way on multiple occasions when I needed help. One lady helped me with my two carts and suggested and offered to stay with Jarem and my carts while I went to pull my car up so my things wouldn't get drenched in the pouring rain, then proceeded in helping my load everything. Many a little old man have offered to carry and lift things. Once I pulled over to look at one of my tires that wasn't sounding right and before I made it to look at the tire, 3 cars had pulled over to help. The generosity and kindness truly are a phenomenon here!
That is awesome! Yay for the friendly people of TN!:)
That's awesome! It is so nice to hear that there are good people in this crazy world who wouldn't think twice about making such an offer!
That is so cute! I almost can't believe it... isn't that a sad commentary on my part? But I'm glad it's true.
That is a great story!! Folks in North Carolina are that way too, so friendly :)
This whole post made me smile. The courteousness (is that a word?) of people here has always made me proud. I'm lucky to be married to a man who would do such a thing.
Post a Comment