Friday, January 1, 2010

Living through my computer.

It's so sad, but so true. I am living though my computer and it has to stop. I anxiously wait for anything to happen on the internet to entertain my social nature. I don't care about current events, or what the latest famous person has done, I want to know who else is doing the same stuff as I am. Who did what last night, and who cares what I did. It is pitiful. I don't talk on the phone anymore (which is where I used to get my social fix) I feel like I am a pain in the rear to people when I call. My friends in MD have their own lives to go on with, the have activities to do, and play dates coming over. They are busy w/ life, I know that they still love me, and they are happy to catch up, but it is just that... catch up. We are no longer linked on a daily basis. This happens when you move. I have MANY friends who I was REALLY tight with while I lived close by, and then I move away, and the friendship naturally switches to the "catch up" phase. It is just one of the stinky parts of moving and it's totally natural. I've been here in TN for 6 months now, and have formed many "surface" friends. People who will help out if I need a sitter, people who will join me if I call and ask if they can go shopping or out for dinner, but just that. No one calls me, and most everyone is busy and has a schedule to keep. I know that these things take time, and I know that the people that I've met here in TN are kind, sweet ladies. I don't think for one second that they are all going out partying and not inviting me. I know that everyone is just living life and that it's nothing personal. I am just whining because I am impatient waiting for a pal. I've also established very few of my own things to do, so my boredom is my own fault. I am looking to 2010 with excitement and a little apprehension of my excitement. I have been given a "deep water" class at the YMCA, and that is exciting. I still have my Fridays at the school and have a new sister to trade babysitting with (I hope that pans out well). We are headed out to a hockey game with 3 other couples tomorrow, and that was totally cool to be apart of this little plan. It's just a time of adjusting and I need to get out of my computer and out into the world. (SIGH) I don't know if I can do it. I think I will be so lonesome.

9 comments:

6L's said...

i think you are so very lucky to have had gal pals and so many at that. my whole life i have longed for that. been here almost 15 years now and still none the way you are describing. :( i often wonder if it's just me or if it's this area (i always grew up military previously). you are right....we are all so busy and scheduled...not much time left to play. i hope you will find what you are looking for and if not, count your blessings for having had such pals as some people never have experienced that. cheer up, things will get better!! it was nice chatting with you all tonight!

Anonymous said...

You can do in no time you will look back at this post and have a little laugh. I do understand diving in, I wonder why it is that the new person has to make alot of first moves but I guess its because we are already not comfortable and everyone one else set in their day to day and comfort zone. Goood luck!!!

Drea said...

I love you Christie and hope things get better!! Thinking of you and missing you!!

Tracy said...

Stop it or I'm going to drive over there and pick you up! I can't stand you not being happy, my little social butterfly! I hope you find a fun shopping partner and a phone partner. In the meantime, we'll just have to play catch up. We all miss you sweet friend! Hugs to you!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I want to go back to MD too. I miss having friends who are close by. The every day friends are so important. I know you BFF will show up soon. You are so good at making friends.

PS....I have a computer problem too....

Barbara said...

So that's where you've BEEN!!! I thought I was just boring:) You guys should transfer to whiteman - then we could get together all the time! We should meet in st louis-miss you:)

Eric and Rozanne said...

I feel like I live through my computer sometimes too. :) I tend to be kind of a home-body, I love hanging out at home. Sorry the trading thing with Katie didn't work out...I can be a bit indecisive and spontaneous sometimes and just decided on the preschool thing at the spur of the moment. I'm glad you found someone else that the trade will work with. We'd still love to have Katie over though...anytime and you come and hang out too.

Kellie said...

I know those days. Most of my closest friends are at a different stage of life, so I don't even have the playdates and trading sitting anymore to break the ice. In the midst of my crazy life, I have actual moments of loneliness. It's astonishing. You can call me anytime to catch up.

Corinne said...

I'm behind, reading this (trying to curb my OWN problem with living on the computer :) but I want you to know that I know that feeling. But for me, I haven't gone anywhere and I still sometimes get that lonely feeling.