Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mixed up

I've never ever been consistent in my style. Growing up, I could wear Bermuda shorts one day and a dark red and black plaid vest the next. One week @ the dance I would be wearing my tapered jeans and a polka-dotted black silk top, and the next week a western shirt, boot cut jeans, and cowboy boots. I've done scarves and shawls, boots and sneakers, winter hats and cowboy hats even the occasional page boy hat. I've had long hair(long as I can grow it), Short hair (like pixie cut), curly hair, straight hair, blond hair, red hair, flippy hair, sleek hair. I just don't seem to have the ability to commit. I can't even decide if I like gold or silver. In the summer/ spring, silver, winter fall, gold. So how on EARTH am I supposed to commit to a style for my home decorating??


Brent and I have been married for 15 years, almost 16, and we still don't have a bedroom set. We bought a sofa and love seat right after we were married sold it 5 years later, and didn't buy another furniture set for 9 years after that! When we retired our cute little table for 4 we found a piece of furniture that we both loved. Unfortunately I don't think this table was meant to be a kitchen table. I think it was supposed to be a "dining room" table. We have trashed it in just 4 short years! The kids don't have dressers or cute bed frames either. I've been living in this wonderful home of mine for almost 4 months and the first thing on the wall was a stinking TV, and that just went up a week ago! I've had paint swatches (if that's what they're called) hanging in the dining room for 3 weeks, I still don't know what I want in there!

I need help. I've taken surveys on the computer. One said I liked warm fall colors (I think I answered that way because its' fall) I wouldn't normally gravitate to orange or brown decor) One said that all shades of Green are me. Now I DO like green, but I don't know how that is supposed to help me know what kind of furniture and decorations I am supposed to buy. Another one told me that I like the southwestern (mexico) style. Um, no, not so much. I have no idea where to go. Impulsively I would just purchase things that I like and fit them together, but I fear that they will look stupid together and then I've wasted money. Any one out there that can help... please!!!

6 comments:

6L's said...

i'm definitely not a decorator but it's sounds like ecclectic (sp?) style...mix n match it all and go with it! :) maybe beverly can help you, she's the decorator. :)

Kellie said...

I keep a visual journal of images from catalogs and magazines or off the internet that I just like without thinking too much. When I go look through it later, I find that there are consistencies to be found, whether of color or a certain shape, cozy and cluttered or clean and simple, etc. I call my "style" Early American Yard Sale, because it is a mishmash also. But, it is very nice to hear people say that they like my house because it DOESN'T look like a spread in the pottery barn catalog. Also, one key piece, like a sofa, or even a certain decorative accent, can lead to a look for a whole room.

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Stay neutral on the expensive items, furniture. Show color and style with the cheaper stuff, paint, pillows, pictures, throw rugs, curtains. When your style changes, it is easier and cheaper to changes those pieces. Or they can end up in the guest room, if you decide you hate them.

I can't wait to see pictures!

Barbara said...

I think you would love green "splashes"! Most of your furniture is dark just throw in a green vase, blanket and other goodies. You've already got an awesome couch set just get the fun things:)

Jeri said...

My sister in law has neutral colors everywhere...and lime GREEN couches. She wanted more lime green but the couches were already so much...so she painted the inside of all the closets LIME GREEN! Cute!

Good luck deciding.

I finally bought some pillows for my front room. I am using them to pull colors from for the paint and curtains. Buy something you love...and use the colors in it to spark your imagination.

Eric and Rozanne said...

I think everyone had good feedback, at least it helped me. I feel the same way as you, I'm very indecisive about things like that. For me, I just put things up and then over time I move them, take them down or add to them as I see if I like them or not.