Friday, October 9, 2009

First Riding Lesson

I SO WISH I HAD A PICTURE TO INSERT HERE!!!!


Yesterday was Liza's first riding lesson. She headed over to Emily's house around 4:30. I left her there with the arrangement to pick her up around 6. During that time Liza cleaned 2 stalls (she told me that horse poop doesn't really stink that much, and that the only down side are the flies that like you after wards cuz you smell like horse poop.), she cleaned bridles (she told me that one of the horses doesn't like the sound of the bridle cleaner... I am guessing it is aerosol), she fed the filly and brushed down Dancee. When I showed up to pick her up, she was being taught how to scrape out the hooves. She also informed me to "watch out, that one likes to give kisses." And sure enough he opened up his lips and showed me his teeth and then tried to lick me. LOL it was too funny. It was fun to watch Liza interact with these horses and get to know them so quickly. Lucky me, I got there just in time for the lesson. I am SO glad that I didn't miss this. Emily showed her how to hold the reins to lead Dancee out to the arena, then handed them to her and said "okay, I'll meet you out there." Oh my, as a girl I'd have paid $$ to scoop poop, clean hooves and brush the horse, but I would have died if they told me to take the horse by myself! Liza proudly led that horse out to the arena, it was adorable to watch. She was wearing her jeans and her red cowboy boots, and a cute western style shirt, which she had carefully laid out for the occasion.
When they got out to the arena Emily showed her how to get up on the horse. Once on, her face lit up like a Christmas Tree. She was absolutely in heaven, I almost cried at the joy on this girls face and Emily stood in the middle with Dancee on a long lead walking him around in circles coaching Liza on how to sit on the horse properly, and where to distribute her weight. Then Emily lifted her whip and Dancee began to trot. Liza giggled with glee. Sheer elation! It was so amazing to witness the joy that this brought to her. I thought she couldn't be happier then when they were walking, but I was wrong, she was ecstatic!! Just to hear her giggle every time that horse picked up speed was SO fun! Through some coaching, she was encouraged to hold only the saddle, so that the reins don't become a handle for her. Emily mentioned as she was riding that eventually she will learn to ride w/o holding on at all. Then Liza put up one arm, and rode around, then the other. She looked like she was flying. Up there, arms out, trotting around on the horse, sitting up so straight, squeezing with her legs, just right. I was so happy for her. So jealous, but SO happy. :-)

6 comments:

6L's said...

this post made me smile the whole time reading! i love it when you can just feel their joy and it really does make you want to cry! glad it was a great experience for both of you! :)

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I can imagine Liza smiling from ear to ear. What a great experience for her.

Drea said...

What an amazing opportunity for Liza! I'm so excited for her and can't wait to see pictures! Thanks for sharing. Love you Christie!

Barbara said...

Haha:) "horse poop doesn't really stink!" I don't remeber thinking that when I was chucking!
I'm so glad Liza has such a great opportunity! I can picture her "flying" with lots of big smiles. What a great Mom moment for you:)

Tracy said...

How great for her! You'll have to ride with her too so you can both have a huge smile on your face! Sophia talks about riding a horse, you're making me feel guilty for not giving her lessons!

tracey said...

How cool is that? That is so awesome for her! I know my kids would love that opportunity!!