A little over a week ago I had the pleasure of attending Time Out For Women. I flew out to Kansas City and met up with Barbara. It was SO fun to see her again, and have the chance to hang out together. I took a pile of notes and have compiled them and decided to blog about the conference in themes/principles that were taught.
I arrived in Kansas City on Friday afternoon. Barbara picked me up from the airport and we headed out to Mimi's for lunch/dinner. We don't have a mimi's out here, so I was pretty excited to find out that it was one of the choices on the list. :-) We then headed up to the convention center for the evenings events. We were informed right off that Sheri Dew couldn't make it to the event, and so they had a substitute flown in, fair enough, cuz it was John Bytheway. That evening however we got to hear from Bro. Michael Wilcox. What a wonderful speaker. We also had a few musical numbers from Jenny Oaks Baker. After the intermission, we were informed that we were SO lucky, for the remainder of the meeting, Jenny oaks Baker would be giving us a much sought after concert. (hum, not what I was looking for. I was looking to be uplifted by music and word, not just an hour of violin music) I looked at Barbara, she looked at me, and we snuck out after the 'announcement'. We headed as quickly as we could to the nearest mall to squeeze in some shopping. :-) This is the night that I discovered the beauty with in the place called "the Buckle" humm, pricey discovery, but beautiful none the less. WE headed back to her place after they kicked us out of the mall. It was fun to see this house that I've heard about over the years. We had a fun night, and were back up bright and early to get in line to get a good seat at the convention center the next morning. We got our TOFW tote bags, in which I was SO disappointed that I purchased last years bag for $5 on clearance because I wanted a "real" bag.
The talks on Sat filled me up and kept us laughing and sometimes crying. It was wonderful
On Parenting:
- Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
- the Lord not only knows our troubles, but he feels them.
- Jesus was happy in his affections, not miserable.
- the Lord sees beauty in ALL his creations.
- Children are like slow ripening fruit
- Heavenly Father loves my children as much as I do.
- He understands them better then I do
- He will help me understand them if I just ask.
- Wait for the children to ripen (learn and develop), and trust in the Lord
- Stubborn fruit, when ripe is SO sweet.
- How to grow and ripen fruit: Feed (teach) and water, the SON will do the rest.
- Cry unto the Lord on their behalves
- the Lord will be "intreated" of you
- Sometimes the fruit doesn't ripen on this side of the vail
-What if the fruit of my parenting is not how my children turn out, but how I learn as a parent?
-believe, hope and endure
- Choose to not be an emotional wreak
-What's it like to live with me?
- The Savior had very important work to do, but he stopped to comfort the saddened.
- Don't compare or compete.
"Fifty was my favorite age. It takes about that long to learn to quit competing- to be yourself and settle down to living. It is the age I would like to be through all eternity." Marjorie Pay Hinckley.
4 comments:
thanks for this post! i'm so happy for you that you got to go to TOFW...love them! i agree about the music of the evening. they did that at our last one too and i was a bit dissappointed...i wanted more speaking. saturday is definitely the best part! :) i sometimes feel really left out spiritually not being able to attend RS and having to make it up on my own (which i don't always do). i will look this post over several times. i appreciate you taking the time to share your notes!
So fun! Glad you got to do it with Barbara. Very cool.
Thanks for reminding me about all these great points. I haven't pulled out my note yet:)
The letters on my bag are pealing off:( so sad:(
Sounds like a great time. Thanks for the notes.
Post a Comment