Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Birthday Brent

I have a million blogs to blog, but as a "gift" to my sweet heart, I wanted to blog about him.


This will likely embarrass him that it is posted on the web. I was thinking the other day about all the sweet romantic things that he has done over the years (nearly 15) that we have been together. So after some thought, I decided to post all my memories of our past relationship and all the sweet stuff that I remember about my truly romantic man.

When I met Brent, he was a music major. He was madly in love with his French Horn. When he went on his mission, he left a girl who had his class ring, when he came home, she was gone and so was the ring, but his Horn waited faithfully. The two of them were off to rule the music world. This passion drew me to him, I loved how driven he was to practice and be the best that he could be. Our first date was a walk. We talked and walked and talked and walked. On that walk he was sure to ALWAYS be between me and the traffic. To the extent of switching sides in the middle of the street to assure my safety. (see what I mean... totally sweet).
Brents next true love was his Mom. Yes, another thing that drew me to him, who couldn't love a man who loves his mother? The first time I met her, he had me take her daisy's (her favorite flowers). This is something that he often did for his mom. As a teen he would get them for her on his way home from school from time to time. (sweet again)

Once he decided that we were meant for each other, and that I would be his next true love, he presented me with a dance in the rain, followed by a bottle of perfume that he had purchased in France (on his mission). He purchased it with the intent of giving it to his future wife. (aww, he was thinking about me even before he knew me) While we were dating he went to a big music "thing" in Texas. While he was there, he spoke with many of the instructors and musicians around him and concluded that he would never make enough money as a musician to support a family. I know that some musicians do, but he really didn't want to teach, and didn't want to risk not being one of the few that make it big. So out of love for me and our future family, he changed career paths. The beloved horn worked with Brent to put him through his undergrad, but the intent was now Medicine. A true act of love for me, he sacrificed his dream, and happily headed down a different path.

Over the years he has done little things here and there. He knows that my favorite flowers are Star Gazer Lillies. He has gone to some pretty long lengths to score my my favorites, and is sure not to get the wrong kind of lilly, for they don't smell the same. :-) While we were in school and never had 2 cents to rub together, he would come home and tell me "If we had money, I would have bought you flowers today." (which is almost as good :-) ) Once he drew me some flowers for Valentines day. Brent has written poems and many sweet letters of appreciation. He knows that I love sonic so sometimes he brings me home a limeade at the end of a day. And he knows I love chocolate, so he takes care of that too. I give him a hard time about not doing enough, but he really does do a lot, I am just too needy. :o)

In our first year of marriage, oh the first year....., this poor man endured much, as I cried my way though. One night in particular, as I sat on the bathroom floor, not really even knowing myself why I was crying my eyes out. I heard his voice on the phone, "Mom, she's crying, and she won't stop... what am I supposed to do?" He quickly got off the phone and came and did just what his mom told him to do. He kept his mouth shut and just held me 'till I stopped. He has done this many, many times, but that first phone call to his mom, I will never forget.

We have had many conversations where I have expressed my frustrations with my imperfections and he can honestly tell me that he loves me. Brent has never told me no. Any thing my little heart has desired, he has seen to it that I've had. Sometimes we've had to wait, but he sees to it, if it is doable. Including a move to Canada in the middle of our undergrad. (in hind sight, probably one of the worst financial moves of our marriage) but he saw to it that we went "home" for a few years.

Brent has ALWAYS been sweet and wonderful about me taking my own "me" time. He is kind and sweet to my giggling girlfriends who come over and stink the house up with nail polish, he adjusted the messed up backs of my other girlfriends in med school.
He has taken, count them 2 dance classes w/ me! And actually enjoyed it. (at least he pretended to) I love to dance, he is uncomfortable with it, even tho, he is a very good dancer. I was the envy of all the wives in our YMCA dance class. :-)

Before we had children I collected baby clothes in my bottom drawer of my dresser. When I would get frustrated with work, or sad about anything, he would reach in the drawer and pull out the tiniest little cardigan and show it to me to make me smile. He knew it would work every time. I still have the cardigan, not because my children wore it, or because it looked so cute on them, but because that is how he got me through those first 3 years.

I almost forgot this one..... just this past month I was awaken in the middle of the night (4:30am I think it was) by my sweetheart asking me if I had some "running pants" I thought he had lost his mind! I thought to myself... there is NO way he is fitting into my running pants. Told him No, and tried to go back to sleep. Then he asked me if I had anything else that would be warm for me to wear. I couldn't figure out what he wanted and why. When I eventually came around and did what he was asking me to do, I put on some warm clothes, and came out into the living room where he wrapped a blanket around me and escorted me out to some chairs that he had set up in the back yard. We snuggled up under the big beautiful clear sky on Tennessee and watched the sky as it put on a beautiful show of "shooting stars". He had heard the night before that the most activity was going to be at 4:30 am, he set his alarm and got it all ready so that we could watch the show. What a sweet heart!


He has taken me away any chance we have gotten, and has big plans to whisk me off to Europe someday.

My favorite, most romantic thing that my sweet husband has done: He made a play list for me. Every once in a while he throws in another song, and each and every one of them is all about us. Each one fits almost perfectly.
The play list is called: "For My Princess" and the songs are as follows:
What kind of man would I be? Chicago
Faithfully. Journey
I your eyes. Peter Gabriel
The best of times. Styx
Forever and ever amen. Randy Travis
You're the inspiration. Chicago
Open Arms. Journey
You save me. Kenny Chesney
Shameless. Garth Brooks
Je L'aime a mourir. Francis Cabrel
Can't stop loving you. Phil Collins
Lonely Day. System of a down
Tangled up in you. Staind
All I want. Staind
The Reason. Hoobastank

He has been there for the birth of each of our children and has held my hand and supported me even tho the Dr in him wants to be down there doing "the fun part". He even told me after I had Liza that he never wanted to see me in that much pain ever again. He REALLY didn't like not being able to stop me from hurting. A while back I made an on going list of reasons why I am grateful for Brent:
- he goes to work, so I can stay home
- he loves the flames
- he likes all things Canada
- he knows my favorite flowers
- he eats my food even if it's yucky
- he gives great, real big hugs
- he sometimes has topical anesthesia on hand
- he likes my cooking
- he took 2 kids to work w/ him for take your kid to work day.
- he calls me when he knows his schedule so that I have it to make my plans
- he locks the door and turns on the alarm when he leaves the house in the morning (that's how he protects me when he is gone)
- he calls me from work on his breaks
- he was excited to take the kids to work w/ him
- he cherishes his children (some ages more then others, but all of them were 3 once.)
- he wants to have a good relationship w/ each of his children as individuals.
- he rubs my neck
- he'll play with my hair
- he doesn't complain about dinner or lack there of.
- he still has dreams and hopes
- he comes straight home from work
- he's willing to give me girl time
- he came on a picnic with us
- he brings me drinks
- he sets up the computer and other electronics for me, cuz I'm not so smart that way.
- he loves to sit w/ the kids
- he goes to church, no matter what happened the night before (work, whatever)
- he helped Tori w/ her book and let her be in control
- he cares about taking care of himself
- when he spoils me, he spoils me good
- he tries to surprise me
- he mows the lawn
- he loves his kids
- he's funny when he is happy.
- he puts away the food and helps clean up after dinner
- he lets me take the kids to activities at the church so that I can just visit.
- he loves to hold sick kids.
- he loves to rock kids.
- he takes care of all the "military crap"
- he studies hard to pass his exams
- he wants the best for us
- he really is so much fun

AND the most of all.......

- HE IS MY BEST FRIEND!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

12 comments:

tracey said...

Happy Birthday big guy!! You're older than me again :-D Enjoy your "birth week"... That's what Brad calls it :-)

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Ahh.....you really got a great guy. We could help with the Europe thing. :) 5hour from Paris. 30 minutes for the French boarder. 2 hours from Belgium.

Drea said...

That is so sweet. Love you Brent!! Happy birthday!!

Brent said...

Who's this "Brent" guy?

Brock and Layne Andersen Family said...

okay...that was about the sweetest thing I have read. Christie..you put that together so nicely...well said! Happy Birthday Brent!

Jann said...

Happy Birthday Brent! What a sweet posts.

Jeri said...

Happy Birthday Brent! I hope you had a great day!

Sweet post Christie.

Barbara said...

Happy Birthday:) When you start listing-it goes on forever:) love it!

6L's said...

hope it was a great bday--this had to make him smile. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. Truth be told, you inspired it with this post. You put me to shame! Thanks for the well-deserved kick in the rear.

Eric and Rozanne said...

Awesome post about your hubby! It's fun to remember and focus on all the good and fun times. Embarrassed or not, I'm sure he loved it!

CJohnson said...

W.O.W. I am bawling. Not the first post of yours to do that to me. It is so wonderful that he SHOWS he loves you. From what you've described, you are both very lucky to have each other.