Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Puzzling

The one that started it all......
For the "gift exchange" in Alex's class, they were asked to bring a 500 piece puzzle. Alex got this one of a castle in Germany. The fact that his buddy Micah is in Germany helped to build interest in putting together this puzzle. That, and the fact that Brent enjoys doing puzzles, so they did it together. Everyone had such fun watching the puzzle come together. As you know from a previous post, that Brent got a plane for Christmas. I couldn't very well put it under the tree, so I printed up a picture of the plane and wrapped boxes, etc. with puzzle pieces in them.
Over the Christmas Break, this puzzle was what we worked on in our spare time. It was fun to watch everyone from Grandpa all the way down to Katie, stop by the puzzle from time to time and put in a few pieces. After much work, the Hockey puzzle that Brent got for Christmas a few years ago, was put together.
Katie is quite the puzzler.... she really enjoys looking for the right piece. She recently rediscovered a puzzle that Grandma gave her and it must be done daily. She is quite good at it, (it's a big Dora floor puzzle of Canada) I like to sit with her and tell her about Canada as she puts it together. Any squeezing in of Canadian stuffs is good. :-)
Brent's mom and the kids used to put puzzles together, I never really understood why until now. What a sense of team accomplishment when it is completed! I think we'll be on the look out for another good one for the summer. :-)

8 comments:

Barbara said...

Those look great:) I really like the plane/present idea:) My mom whould buy lots of puzzles for me to put together for her. Then she started doing the puzzle glue on them. We had puzzles every where-even hanging in closets:)

Eric and Rozanne said...

I didn't enjoy puzzling as a kid, but now during the holidays, I like to sit and talk while working on a puzzle. It really is a good bonding thing. Also, I liked the puzzle plane too...how creative!

Cami said...

We have puzzle races in our family--buy 2 of the same puzzle and then race, boys and girls. Girls always win. Puzzles can be such great fun!

B.E.C.L Wall said...

Some of Ben's favorite childhood memories involved puzzles and mom. What a great tradition to start with your kids!

Jann said...

Great puzzles. It is really fun to do them together.

Jeri said...

We did puzzles as a family too...I always opted out. =) Talia loves them, I need to buy a puzzle with more pieces for her. Seeing these put together is great, and taking a picture is the perfect way to remember it!

Amber said...

Those are awesome. I am with you about never really getting into puzzles BUT NOW I AM! Let me know if you want a Disney one :-)

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

We love putting puzzles together. I like it because it keeps the kids quiet and it is together time. We went to that castle last may....pretty neat that Alex put that together 500 pieces, that is a lot!